• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Setting up the website

Status
Not open for further replies.

q220

Eru Iluvatar
Staff member
Supporter
Credits
XP
Due to a critical hardware failure at the ISP, the website is currently being restructured. The website runs on a VPS server, with two hard drives. One was used to store data, and the second one was used as mirror backup in case the first one failed. For causes unknown to me, the ISP confirmed that both those hard drives failed simultaneously. This is extremely rare. Their attempts to recover the data proved to be unsuccessful. They sent a letter in which they apologize for the inconvenience this might cause. Due to the fact that I had full confidence in this setup, I did not actively take off-ISP backups of the forums and website. All this data is now irrecoverably lost.

Updates will be posted by me here

Last edited:
As a computer science student I have to say this: it is impossible that no data could be recovered, unless both hard drives were completely destroyed (physically). And if they took money for hosting the website, they are probably obliged to recover as much data as possible.

This is so bad, i hope you'll can fix this, and i look so strange about they lost all the data

As a computer science student I have to say this: it is impossible that no data could be recovered, unless both hard drives were completely destroyed (physically). And if they took money for hosting the website, they are probably obliged to recover as much data as possible.
Not recoverable in a usable way. Our host makes no promises regarding data integrity, They put it entirely into the hands of the customer unless they caused an issue being negligent. This is not one of those cases, this is a freak drive failure.

EDIT: I should say even with the above, they did put extra effort into trying to recover our data, but were unsuccessful.

Not recoverable in a usable way. Our host makes no promises regarding data integrity, They put it entirely into the hands of the customer unless they caused an issue being negligent. This is not one of those cases, this is a freak drive failure.

EDIT: I should say even with the above, they did put extra effort into trying to recover our data, but were unsuccessful.

If hard drives are not physically damaged, all data should be recoverable. But that costs...

If hard drives are not physically damaged, all data should be recoverable. But that costs...
Unless data was being read/written at the time of failure, which is fairly likely. While data would be recoverable, it is not necessarily complete data, or even useful data. Compsci textbook theory doesn't always work in practice.

Unless data was being read/written at the time of failure, which is fairly likely. While data would be recoverable, it is not necessarily complete data, or even useful data. Compsci textbook theory doesn't always work in practice.

I think it's unlikely that data was being read from/written to one of older backups ;)

Thats why I find it very weird as well, and I'm pushing to get more answers or at least a serious compensation for the damage.
Will you stay with the same hosting company?
Yeah, I have been with them for years, and all the other server boxes that I have are located there as well. This is the first time something this serious happens to me.

I would hope that they have some pretty serious compensation for losing all the data. Otherwise their customer basis would shrink in an instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.