• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Setting up the website

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the best we can do is brush ourselves off and start over :/

To be clear, only the website was affected? The Minecraft servers are still good?

I suppose the best we can do is brush ourselves off and start over :/

To be clear, only the website was affected? The Minecraft servers are still good?
Minecraft servers are still good as they run on different servers c:

Why have people liked q220's post at the start :confused:, it is not a good thing...

I don't believe in any god, but I think that some higher power just hates MCME forums >.<
The Valar have turned against us! They are mad at us for trying to recreate their world!

Last edited:
Why have people liked q220's post at the start :confused:, it is not a good thing...
It's a good thing he's keeping us updated, informing the community of what happened and the reasons why it happened in order to avoid confusion, which is obviously the reason why people liked his post.

Ladies and Gentlemen please keep in mind when posting thing on the forums that foolish or off topic posts (simply for post/like counts) face deletion when Staff perms are returned. We don't want the forums filled with useless information. Especially considering Bounder and Valar have to sift through all the content of these posts.

Perhaps there should be a ban on anything not related to MCME for now, until we can get all the legitimately important back? I should be spending time re-writing my resource-pack descriptions, instead of wasting time looking at funny images. =p

Perhaps there should be a ban on anything not related to MCME for now, until we can get all the legitimately important back? I should be spending time re-writing my resource-pack descriptions, instead of wasting time looking at funny images. =p
There's no need to ban all non-mcme related posts. At the end of the day, this is still a public forum, anyone can come here and join for free to join the conversations. I'm sure you can summon enough self-restraint to resist browsing the funny pictures and videos thread.

Man, this is a real bummer. I'm not going to accuse your hosting provider of lying, and I'm not exactly a computer engineer or anything, but...well...having two HDDs fail at the exact same moment seems like it'd be akin to winning the lottery while simultaneously being struck by lightning. The only thing I can think of is that there was a power surge or other PSU meltdown, and even then you'd expect that the physical disk platters would probably still have data...well, whatever. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain in the rear to get everything set up again.

This might be a longshot, but it (the failure) by chance could have been caused by multiple things. Most HD's start slowing down and going to crap when they are less than 20% full. The thing that crossed my mind when Q first informed the community that both HD's had failed were "Either a power surge caused it" "the HD's became faulty due to age (it happens)" or "the HD's became full and failed".

I say this because of the massive size of the Funny pictures thread. There weren't just links to other webpages in that thread, there were thousands of embedded .gifs and images. All of that stacks up over time.

Just my two cents. It's probably not what happened though.

Really phe? My first reaction was "the HD became fully sentient and kicked us out"

On a serious note though, that is a good point that we might want to limit those a bit just so we dont run into the same problem again..

Really phe? My first reaction was "the HD became fully sentient and kicked us out"

On a serious note though, that is a good point that we might want to limit those a bit just so we dont run into the same problem again..

My assumption is that the various images and videos are not actually stored/cached on our servers, merely the links to them, which, when loaded in the html of the page, load from their respective sources.

EDIT: Here is the source for the first post in Funny Pictures. Notice that the image is not 'embedded' in that it is stored on our servers. It still points to the original source, and is thus not taking up any space (more than the characters in the url).

UnXRmZb.jpg

Last edited:
My assumption is that the various images and videos are not actually stored/cached on our servers, merely the links to them, which, when loaded in the html of the page, load from their respective sources.

EDIT: Here is the source for the first post in Funny Pictures. Notice that the image is not 'embedded' in that it is stored on our servers. It still points to the original source, and is thus not taking up any space (more than the characters in the url).

That is correct, posting images with the image button in the toolbar merely hotlinks to an external website. There are very few images being actually hosted on this website, since you need to be able to upload files to it, which is something normal users can't do.

That is correct, posting images with the image button in the toolbar merely hotlinks to an external website. There are very few images being actually hosted on this website, since you need to be able to upload files to it, which is something normal users can't do.
except for the newly introduced media section :3 Maybe that had something to do with it, although as far as I'm aware there weren't a huge amount of pictures uploaded.

I don't really think it had something to do with that, the website runs on a beefy VPS, and there are other clients on the same dedicated server. Maybe the hard drives themselves were too old, or there was a power surge, or maybe it was a technicians fault even, no reason was given by the VPS except that the two hard drives failed simultaneously, and that it is very rare for that to happen.

I actually employ serious caching methods to the website in order to reduce cpu load and hard drive io to try and deliver the best performance possible. Even images that are publicly visible are still hosted, but due to CloudFlare caching, images will actually be served through CloudFlare and not the website.

I actually employ serious caching methods to the website in order to reduce cpu load and hard drive io to try and deliver the best performance possible. Even images that are publicly visible are still hosted, but due to CloudFlare caching, images will actually be served through CloudFlare and not the website.
I was always impressed with the speed of the site, and suspected this was the case. Kudos on best practices. We can speculate all we like, but it seems that the issue almost assuredly was not a result of our site, at least not directly. The whole situation smells a bit too fishy for my taste, but what can we do...

Status
Not open for further replies.