• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Staff renamed to Maiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyDrago101

Dirt Conaisseur
Credits
XP
This is the smallest one I've made yet.
So the idea is that because Admins are also known as Vala, Staff would also be called Maia.
This would be purely cosmetic, and it would only effect the rank level name, they would still be called Managers, and Designers, it would just change what we call them overall. This could also trickle down to Team, renaming them Istari or something. Overall I think it just makes sense, and it would take like five maybe fifteen minutes to implement ( I don't actually know, I just assume it would be simple as the only place you really see the word Staff is like two places in Discord) Admins double as Valar, so Staff should double as Maiar. (Or something like that) :)

~Skydrago101

Voting on this suggestion has been paused.
Another great idea! Very simple so there isn't really anything to comment on, but I think that would be cool since that's how it is with Vala, it would fit better. So the roles they get called "Staff" could just be renamed. Simple and cool

Ranks based on themes from the books have proven to cause confusion in the past.
For example, the Ranger rank, which was previously the Guide rank. People were confused what the rank did because it did not clearly state it.
The ranks preferably instantly show people what type of role someone has, or eludes to their type of role.

Ranks based on themes from the books have proven to cause confusion in the past.
For example, the Ranger rank, which was previously the Guide rank. People were confused what the rank did because it did not clearly state it.
The ranks preferably instantly show people what type of role someone has, or eludes to their type of role.

Drago's saying that the ranks of Manager and Designer would remain the same, but the general term that's used for their rank's place in the community is "Staff", the suggestionm is to change "Staff" to "Maiar", just like "Admin" is "Vala", but keep the actual ranks called Designer and Manager :)

Drago's saying that the ranks of Manager and Designer would remain the same, but the general term that's used for their rank's place in the community is "Staff", the suggestionm is to change "Staff" to "Maiar", just like "Admin" is "Vala", but keep the actual ranks called Designer and Manager :)
What's the point besides your roleplay, the terms staff also refers to valar btw, adding on top of it, people are going to keep using staff and team because it's been used for years now and ingrained in their mind.

What's the point besides your roleplay, the terms staff also refers to valar btw, adding on top of it, people are going to keep using staff and team because it's been used for years now and ingrained in their mind.
First of all, what roleplay, this isn't a roleplay server. Second, with this logic what's the point of having admins be called "Valar"?

The same way people call Valar Admins.

So no one wants to put in the work, for one word to be changed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So it ain't happening.
I'm just going to share this one again:

Changing Staff to Maiar is like changing Guide to Ranger. The name change is going to cause confusion.
It doesn't instantly tell you what they do it would even raise more questions about what they even stand for.
It's rather clear for the Valar and Admins to be the highest rank. it's less clear if you consider that Staff and Team are both Team members, but they're not both Staff members. If you would throw in Maiar into the mix, the term itself would raise more questions than it actually answers; Both Maiar and Team are Team members, but they're not both Maiar. It's more practical to show instantly what their role is rather than calling them Maiar, because it doesn't tell you anything inherently about their position on the server. Whereas when you name it Staff people instantly know they have a higher sense of responsibility on the server, and people can relate to their responsibilities because they have seen it on other servers as well for example. It's rather streamlined across the board. It's practical, easily recognizable, and easily understandable.

Also moderator advice: You don't need to reply with a shrugging emoji with something that could be considered a form of indirect Ad Hominem.
It looks rather toxic and doesn't show a nice representation of your character in a normal discussion.

I'm just going to share this one again:

Changing Staff to Maiar is like changing Guide to Ranger. The name change is going to cause confusion.
It doesn't instantly tell you what they do it would even raise more questions about what they even stand for.
It's rather clear for the Valar and Admins to be the highest rank. it's less clear if you consider that Staff and Team are both Team members, but they're not both Staff members. If you would throw in Maiar into the mix, the term itself would raise more questions than it actually answers; Both Maiar and Team are Team members, but they're not both Maiar. It's more practical to show instantly what their role is rather than calling them Maiar, because it doesn't tell you anything inherently about their position on the server. Whereas when you name it Staff people instantly know they have a higher sense of responsibility on the server, and people can relate to their responsibilities because they have seen it on other servers as well for example. It's rather streamlined across the board. It's practical, easily recognizable, and easily understandable.

Also moderator advice: You don't need to reply with a shrugging emoji with something that could be considered a form of indirect Ad Hominem.
It looks rather toxic and doesn't show a nice representation of your character in a normal discussion.

That's a good point, but Valar are Admins, Staff, and Team, and I honestly feel like Valar isn't any more understandable than Maiar would be. So saying that a Staff member is both Team and Maiar is basically the same as saying that an Admin is both Team, Staff, and Valar. I honestly don't understand the difference between them and how one is less confusing than the other :confused: You make a good point with the Guide vs. Ranger rank, I think that Ranger would certainly be confusing, but this isn't the actual rank, it's the position in the MCME hierarchy. With that logic you could say that having admins be Valar is very confusing :)

Ultimately I think it could be broken down a bit nicer as I think the ranks are a bit messy when you look at it properly. At this point we are all used to it but I feel, like I said in the Valar thread that there is a chance to make it better.

I keep seeing the comment made that we are not a roleplay server and that it will make it more confusing, I disagree as like greencaver said above, the day to day roles would stay the same as they have no need to change (although that sounds like I'm contradicting myself), like Artist, Guide and Mod, as Adventurers use look at this everyday. the higher up roles are not so, we already have the use of Valar to a half degree so I say why not use it to its full 'potential'
At this point it is basically just changing the name for Valar, Staff and Team to mean other things.

Did a quick sheet to break it down, there are some issues but this will probably be the last thing I say on this as too many people are butting heads for no reason.

image_2022-11-19_180106937.png

Good Day

Ultimately I think it could be broken down a bit nicer as I think the ranks are a bit messy when you look at it properly. At this point we are all used to it but I feel, like I said in the Valar thread that there is a chance to make it better.

I keep seeing the comment made that we are not a roleplay server and that it will make it more confusing, I disagree as like greencaver said above, the day to day roles would stay the same as they have no need to change (although that sounds like I'm contradicting myself), like Artist, Guide and Mod, as Adventurers use look at this everyday. the higher up roles are not so, we already have the use of Valar to a half degree so I say why not use it to its full 'potential'
At this point it is basically just changing the name for Valar, Staff and Team to mean other things.

Did a quick sheet to break it down, there are some issues but this will probably be the last thing I say on this as too many people are butting heads for no reason.

View attachment 26465

Good Day

That looks pretty cool, I don't know much about the lore of middle earth so idk the difference between valar, aratar, and maiar, but I definitely think they could be organized in someway like that. Your way looks cool or even if it was just like valar/aratar for admins, valar/aratar for staff, and maiar for team. In your thing you have admins as a part of staff, and they are but it might be better to put them above staff so that you can see the hierarchy more but yeah looks pretty cool.

It also shows admins as a seperate thing from "Team Leads" which doesn't make that much sense, and I'm not sure if Manager should be categorized with the team leads

Yea tbf at the moment all of the Team Leads and Manager have multiple roles but at this point they are all clumped into staff anyway so I'm not really worried about that

@SkyDrago101 This is a recurring topic. I remember we discussed this in 2015 already. I personally would love to use Middle-earth related role names like Valar and Maiar. But like w0rldunder said: Each time we discussed this we came to the conclusion that Middle-earth related role names are confusing for new players. And reasonably I agree with that. Still there is an inconsitency and your suggestions brings it up again: "Valar" role. Somehow we never changed it.
I guess we should change "Valar" to "Admin" or "Head".

The Valar aren’t even a good example because the Valar are not called Valar in-game, with the sole exception of Credoo. As far as I know, the only remaining reference to the administrators as ‘Valar’ is in their Discord role “Valar / Admins”. Renaming Staff to Maiar would just mean renaming their Discord role to “Maiar / Staff”.

Status
Not open for further replies.