• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Tarnost

Ivan1

One Of Us, One of Us
Developer
Commoner
Credits
XP
Tarnost
Project leader: Ivan1pl
Reserve leader: ThijsdeBruin
Project staff: ThijsdeBruin, aaldim, Angelimar
Project Designer: KlemensPlusLukas

Project warp

/warp Tarnost​

Background lore
I refer to the map of Rohan, Gondor and Mordor published in The Return of the King as 'the large LR map'. (...) The other dot on Q12, east of the crossing of Ringlo, is marked with the pencilled name Tarnost, which so far as I know does not appear elsewhere.
-The History of Middle Earth, Vol. 8: The War of the Ring

Short Introduction to the project
Tarnost is a fortified town in south Gondor, in the Hills of Tarnost. Meaning of the first part of the name (tarn) is unknown, the second part (ost) means "fortified city". It was mentioned in The War of the Ring and there is a dot labeled 'Tarnost' in The Atlas of Middle-Earth.

Concept art

Tarnost.jpg

Town plan

bJQJM68.png

red - walls
red dots - towers
brown - road
light green - market/shop area
yellow - industrial area
blue - housing area
dark green - military area
orange - town hall
light blue dot - small quarry
pink dots - mine entrances​

To do list

Concepts [Finished]
Preparing terrain [Finished]
Walls [Finished]
Market area [Finished]
Housing area [Finished]
Industrial area [Finished]
Military area [Finished]
Roads [Finished]
Mines [Finished]

Possible Adventurer jobs

Roads, house freebuild​

Last edited:
quick question

what sort of industry are going to have in the town?
mining?
carpentry?
stonemasons?

i see in that case, maybe a small mine in the hills?. you can easily put an entrance in the left corner where the inner wall meets the outer wall next to the industrial area

Having seen the walls around the town, they look too big for the village sized place. I understand that the name refers to fortified, but the walls seem a bit excessive. One possibilty would be to have the large wall around the top section protecting the twon hall and military area, with a smaller wall around the rest of the town.

Having seen the walls around the town, they look too big for the village sized place. I understand that the name refers to fortified, but the walls seem a bit excessive. One possibilty would be to have the large wall around the top section protecting the twon hall and military area, with a smaller wall around the rest of the town.

Note that we don't have massive stone walls, but they're wooden and not as wide as walls in big cities. But I see your point and we'll take that into consideration.

I actually think the city should be a bit bigger :p .

We have plans for 16 houses and also shops and most workshops have living space, so I think that's enough to make small town.

Tarnost house freebuild

(closed)

It's time to start building houses. Here is building guide:

j9IrrMl.png

Here are some rules:
  • one plot per person (you can start another one after your previous house was accepted)
  • claim your plot by placing a sign with your name in plot corner
  • don't build outside of your plot
  • if there are no plots prepared, just ask project staff

There is also a short building guide near house freebuild warp, but don't use it as a guide, just a reminder.

Have fun!
/warp tarfb

Last edited:
I meant, in my mind, in my vision of Tolkien's world. I can totally see Tarnost is smaller in MCME (and I'm a bit dispointed about this, but it doesn't matter, but for that reason I think we could at least keep the high walls, especially given we have "ost" in the name); furthermore, high wood walls + little town give Tarnost a particular design which is, in my opinion, rather appreciable.

I meant, in my mind, in my vision of Tolkien's world. I can totally see Tarnost is smaller in MCME (and I'm a bit dispointed about this, but it doesn't matter, but for that reason I think we could at least keep the high walls, especially given we have "ost" in the name); furthermore, high wood walls + little town give Tarnost a particular design which is, in my opinion, rather appreciable.
Well, Tarnost is also basically non-canon. It's interpretation (if any at all) is rather loose.

No, it appears on one of Tolkien's maps ;) (HOME).
True, but he never really described anything about the town at all. Aside from the walls, we are taking creative liberties in everything.

(Although I agree with you that it seems a bit small for a Gondor "town". I think it should be classified as a village at this size.)