• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Teamspeak 3 compared against Discord

Which program would you prefer to use?

• Teamspeak

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Discord

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters

q220

Eru Iluvatar
Staff member
Supporter
Credits
XP
So some people recently started asking "Why not switch to Discord". Personally I don't see anything holding us back in ways of functionality as Discord offers pretty much everything we already use on a frequent basis:

- Voice Channels
- Roles / identification
- Text chat

On top of that, Discord does have advantages when it come to integration and being user friendly. For example it can be run from within the browser without the need of installing a plugin or program. For systemwide push to talk people can install the program on their systems.

The only thing I'm thinking is how a program like Discord can be 'truly free' as in free as breathable air. Currently there is no premium service or revenue for that company, which makes me believe they are initially offering it free in order to grow the userbase, and eventually will start introducing limitations or premium services (they are planning to sell stickerpacks/skins which wouldn't be too bad then).

I've added a poll to measure the average interest, and I'm interesting in hearing any questions or remarks on how you think the one program is better than the other.

I use discord a great deal and the major issue for me is that the voice chat can be really buggy at times without much explanation, also all the chats are persistent and visible to everyone so idk if you fix that somehow but those issues I think are pretty big draw backs.

I agree with @greglas2 that there would be no harm in having both, as long as Discord is free, and seeing if people make use of one or the other more. The other server I play on somehow has it so that you can see and talk in the server chat through discord - I don't know if that's a feature of discord or something they worked out but it's cool.

I use discord a great deal and the major issue for me is that the voice chat can be really buggy at times without much explanation, also all the chats are persistent and visible to everyone so idk if you fix that somehow but those issues I think are pretty big draw backs.

I'm not sure about the voice quality thing as I've had no experience with that. The chat is persistent, which can be an advantage/disadvantage depending on how you look at it. Moderators can clear the chat if they are allowed to.

Since it's free why not just get a server anyway in addition to Teamspeak, if not everybody likes the idea

Having two different officially endorsed mediums wouldn't work as that would just disperse the people into their (personal) favorite program, pretty much making communication harder instead of easier.

I vote discord since you can have separate chat channels that are not tied to voice channels, plus those chat channels can be scrolled back in. Let me try and explain why I think that is helpful.

For instance you have running big project you post images and ideas and have discussions in that chat channel and the people registered to that channel will be able to read that and comment on it making communication easy. Have an Guide chat channel where they can organize tours, have an enforcer chat channel where they can deal with bans etc.

Possibility's seem endless. For a communication medium Discord does seem to have some interesting new possibility's that teamspeak does not provide. Especially if there is way to connect a general chat channel to in game minecraft chat. Discord would make communicating easier plus it seems to also provides more interaction. I vote discord.

Imo, I think moving to Discord would be a good idea. It offers a lot more interaction and features than TS does.

An example is text channels, which are basically channels that are text only, and are open 24/7 meaning you don't have to be online to see new messages. Ardacraft has some text channels for things like server announcements, regular chatting channel and screenshots, which I think is a really good thing. Everyone remains up to date on whats going on, share things they are working on and just socially engage.

It's also a good opportunity to revive things that could be improved and brought back to life. Things like as I mentioned above, server announcements; everyone knows what's going on, what's new and what's coming without having to check all the separate threads on the forums or wait a week for the times. We also agreed in a staff meeting a while back that we would leave updates on what we did on our projects on the forums, which was working good for a few weeks until it eventually died. For this Discord could come in handy as well, it'd be a lot easier to just leave a message on a set channel (ie. 'Project progress') leave a quick message or screenshot and you're done, people can leave feedback or give suggestions. This imo would be a lot more suitable and flexible to do on Discord than it would on the forums.

Along with that there is also still the things TS has, voice chat channels. Users can still create their own channels, or use the pre-set channels like Jobs, away, staff, music etc. Nothing would really be different on that side, to TS.

And lastly, it can be used via app or online in the browser, giving people who maybe don't want to download things the chance to use it nonetheless.

TS is dying out with more and more people moving to other more modern platforms like Discord. It offers just as much as TS does and a whole lot more. Moving to Discord would be a great idea for the server imo. VOTE DISCORD!

Last edited:
As somebody who really misses the Dynmap-Chat functionality i would love to see that "ingame chat thing" like added to our page (maybe as a link similar to the dynmap)

Having two different officially endorsed mediums wouldn't work as that would just disperse the people into their (personal) favorite program, pretty much making communication harder instead of easier.
I would revise my suggestion to a "trial period" of discord, asking people to not use ts, and if everyone is satisfied we could make the switch permanently. Also, were discord to eventually make people start paying, would there be any difference between paying for ts and discord? So far your concern about cost is one of just two arguments against it (the other being what dallen said), and it doesn't seem like much of a concern to me.

@greglas2 looks like you'll have to make a pro-teamspeak argument yourself

Just used Discord today, I really like how I can now see the chat from that website and interact with everyone in the server without even being on. TeamSpeak is great and all, but it's a separate program with a separate chat and it's mainly focused on voice chat, which isn't great for those of us without a mic. Discord allows better interaction between the people in the server and the people on voice chat as well, so for me that's a definite vote for Discord to be the new official voice/text chat program of MCME.

TeamSpeak is great and all, but it's a separate program with a separate chat and it's mainly focused on voice chat, which isn't great for those of us without a mic.
I can say that after years of going on teamspeak without a microphone that it's still quite nice to use. I also after using discord some notice that it's not all to different for a person with no mic talking to somebody with a mic. I would even go as far as to say it's easier to communicate with teamspeak. There's no confusion about which text channel to type in either.
Also, I'd like to say that I dont see the chat not going away thing as only an advantage. I feel that there's an amount of privacy that's needed to be comfortable while talking to a group of people that teamspeak has, but I dont find it with discord.
I believe we should have the freedom to say whatever the hell we want and not have it come back and bite us in the ass.
Just my opinion, not saying it's any better than any of yours.

Last edited:
I really like how I can now see the chat from that website and interact with everyone in the server without even being on.
I totaly love that too... And i really missed it... And u dont need Discord for it!!
Dynmap has this option too, but it got disabled... (the reason i got told was that nobody would use it anyways)
I feel like it was even more connectiong to the online-ppl cause i could see where they hang out when i was chatting with them.

I can say that after years of going on teamspeak without a microphone that it's still quite nice to use. I also after using discord some notice that it's not all to different for a person with no mic talking to somebody with a mic. I would even go as far as to say it's easier to communicate with teamspeak. There's no confusion about which text channel to type in either.
Also, I'd like to say that I dont see the chat not going away thing as only an advantage. I feel that there's an amount of privacy that's needed to be comfortable while talking to a group of people that teamspeak has, but I dont find it with discord.
I believe we should have the freedom to say whatever the hell we want and not have it come back and bite us in the ass.
Just my opinion, not saying it's any better than any of yours.
Fully agree. First Discrod sounded like a very good idea. But as a person who doesnt like to use the mic all the time i feel like TS actually is of better use for the reasons greg stated. Text-/Voicechannel is the same thing, so u can directly take part in the communication.

-> So after using and testing Discord a bit i actually change my opinion to: Stay with TS + Bring back the chat to Dynmap! ;)

P.S.: The one big good point i see about discord that we dont have with TS is, that u can use it in the browser. This means easy access for droogs who want to help in jobs but dont want to (or dont manage to) install TS. But i guess u cant have it all... :p