• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Teamspeak 3 compared against Discord

Which program would you prefer to use?

• Teamspeak

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Discord

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
Dynmap has this option too, but it got disabled... (the reason i got told was that nobody would use it anyways)
I feel like it was even more connectiong to the online-ppl cause i could see where they hang out when i was chatting with them.
It is disabled because someone could troll on dynmap and there is nothing we can do about it. With discord you can atlease ban someone and stop them.

It is disabled because someone could troll on dynmap and there is nothing we can do about it. With discord you can atlease ban someone and stop them.

Well there is one thing, when it is required to register yourself for dynmap from within the game, and then you'd be allowed to use that chat. But that also bars dynmap behind this 'must register first' wall. Due to requests that wall was removed, which then actually started that entire "lets troll on dynmap" thing, which made me disable the chat alltogether.

Though there are always other ways as well to enable some chat service out of the scope of Teamspeak and Discord (like web integration for example).

Well, teamspeak is winning now.

Is there any chat in discord bound to current voice room? If not this is kinda painful to use if You just want to type and only for people in this room.

Well, teamspeak is winning now.

Is there any chat in discord bound to current voice room? If not this is kinda painful to use if You just want to type and only for people in this room.

Not right now no, in Discord it looks like they wanted to have either text or voice channels. Ofcourse you can have the same amount of text channels to the voice ones, but it does not switch on its own. The feature has been requested by other people on the Discord website though.

Another con: to chat you still need e-mail confirmation. I would rather restrict voice chatting instead of texting for people without accout. If there is anyone new its more likely he would like to use chat instead of talking.

Will this 'test' phase be ever concluded? With almost even scores moving something so impractical (oh hey, but its fancy!... (...)) will scare more people off than bring new ones. The feeling that discord is more lively and full is just an illusion: voice channels are full in same level as in ts, the only differenceis 'social media' feeling accounts (you can see members in the sidebar, send them a message) and chats provide. But with limitations coming from both (no chats for voice channels, needs for frigging accounts) there are no benefits. At least for me.

Since discord was introduced I feel less and less motivated to access any server related voice chatting app.

Can we just go back to Teamspeak cos they're pretty much the same think but in my opinion Discord has too many cons. :<

Alright, at first i was contra Discord, but after using it quite regulary now I think thats its alot better then Teamspeaks and serves exactly what we need. I think the first main difference is, that Discord isnt just a "skype for gamers" its more of a community hub, due to it having a bigger focus on text channels aswell. That and the Serverchat Function make it extremely usefull to Discuss stuff in chat with others. In terms of voice chat i see no big difference to Teamspeak, the sound quality is equaly good, and it has most options teamspeak has aswell.

The only con i see right now is that there is no Text channel for each voice channel. But that can be worked around by adding a seperate "Voice Chat" Text Channel.

The Email confirmation thing shouldnt be a problem aswell, since its so little work that i shouldnt stop anyone from actually joining (also forums do have it aswell right?)

Alright, at first i was contra Discord, but after using it quite regulary now I think thats its alot better then Teamspeaks and serves exactly what we need. I think the first main difference is, that Discord isnt just a "skype for gamers" its more of a community hub, due to it having a bigger focus on text channels aswell. That and the Serverchat Function make it extremely usefull to Discuss stuff in chat with others. In terms of voice chat i see no big difference to Teamspeak, the sound quality is equaly good, and it has most options teamspeak has aswell.

The only con i see right now is that there is no Text channel for each voice channel. But that can be worked around by adding a seperate "Voice Chat" Text Channel.

The Email confirmation thing shouldnt be a problem aswell, since its so little work that i shouldnt stop anyone from actually joining (also forums do have it aswell right?)
But it kind of takes over/overlaps the function of our forums. Also: it has one very annoying (maybe client side?(my cousin has the same)) bug for the desktop app: sometimes your voice stays connected even if you closed discord, and then you can't open discord to disconnect your voice, but you have to login on your phone to reconnect. This is a very bad bug which imo is a 'danger' for your privacy.

But it kind of takes over/overlaps the function of our forums. Also: it has one very annoying (maybe client side?(my cousin has the same)) bug for the desktop app: sometimes your voice stays connected even if you closed discord, and then you can't open discord to disconnect your voice, but you have to login on your phone to reconnect. This is a very bad bug which imo is a 'danger' for your privacy.

People barely post on this forum for community based matters anyway so saying it replaces them doesn't seem correct. Also no one else seems to be suffering from the bug

Alright since some voiced concerns about Graphical Glitches or comparable against Discord

Found 2 possible Solutions Online
  • Settings > Locale > Uncheck Hardware Acceleration
  • Disable Notifications

Also: it has one very annoying (maybe client side?(my cousin has the same)) bug for the desktop app: sometimes your voice stays connected even if you closed discord
although annoying its not a bug and yet another con for discord although everyone should use push to talk to 'defend' their privacy.

I think this is similar to how skype works where when you press the x to close the program it doesnt fully close. In bottom right the is a ^ symbol to show hidden icons. discord will still show in there once started up. If you right click on it, you can quit discord there. which i believe shuts it fully (has for me at least)

I think this is similar to how skype works where when you press the x to close the program it doesnt fully close. In bottom right the is a ^ symbol to show hidden icons. discord will still show in there once started up. If you right click on it, you can quit discord there. which i believe shuts it fully (has for me at least)

Yeah, Discord wil even when closed, continue running on the background (same as skype). the way to fully exit is throu the top right discord icon.

I'm sorry but nothing of what you guys said worked, but I found out something very very scary! For me there is a discord logo, hiding in the minecraft launcher!!!
uVAf2kY.png

I'm sorry but nothing of what you guys said worked, but I found out something very very scary! For me there is a discord logo, hiding in the minecraft launcher!!!
uVAf2kY.png
I guess thats the discord overlay

uVAf2kY.png
Do you have the in-game overlay enabled? If so that's whats causing the logo to show up in your client. If you untick the overlay option in your discord settings the logo should go away.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to hide the logo while using the in-game overlay (which is pretty annoying since it is completely opaque and takes up a part of the screen) but I'm hoping the discord team will fix it eventually since there seems to be a lot of people who are bugged by it. The in-game overlay lets you see who's talking without having to guess or tab out of the game so its a pretty useful feature otherwise.