The Dead Hobbits Society...

shaneofthedead

Is going on an adventure!
Credits
0
XP
0
The other night, I had the strangest discussion on Tolkien on another Discord server in a voice channel with someone that I can only describe as being a member of The Dead Hobbits Society. I'll try to remember it all, but it went something like this:

Buddy: No, I hate anything that Peter Jackson did....

Me: You hated Lord of the Rings???

Buddy: Yeah, I didn't like them. The books were far better.

Me: I love the books too, but you can't put everything in the movie. I thought Jackson did a good job.

Buddy: He did not do the Hobbits right. They never grew. They stayed stupid through all the movies.

Me: Well, I would have liked to see the Scouring of the Shire, but that move was already so long...

Buddy: No, I'm talking about all that they went through. Nothing changed them. They died and were brought back and they were still ....

Me: What??

Buddy: and then they died again and were brought back...

Me: Wait! Hold up! The Hobbits did not die.

Buddy: Yes, they did. They all died.

Me: At what part of the movies?

Buddy: No, only in the books.

Me: When???

Buddy: When they were in the tomb.

Me: The Barrow Downs?

Buddy: Yes, there, they were all dead, except for Frodo.

Me: I don't...

Buddy: They crossed over and were dead until Bombadil brought them back to life.

Me: ...don't think they were dead.

Buddy: No, they died.

Me: ...I'll grant that they were near death. But I do not believe they were dead.

Buddy: They were dead and...

Me: That's and interesting take on...

Buddy: ...they almost died again in the woods.

Me: What?

Buddy: Yes, when they met the elf woman.

Me: Who? Galadriel?

Buddy: Yes. Galadriel wanted to kill the hobbits.

Me: *laughing* WHAT!!!

Buddy: She wanted them all dead.

Me: No!

Buddy: Yes...

Me: No. I see how you could argue they died in the barrow, but I am 100% certain that Gladriel did not want to kill them. When they were brought before her and Celeborn she tested each of them, mentally, but she did not want them dead. I listen to it once or twice a year and just last month (from my audio book tour) so I am certain.

Buddy: Well, I have not read it in a while. I will have to read it again, but I thought she wanted to kill them.
 
Back
Top