• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Tolkientober!

INKTOBER, Day 10: HOPE
The PHIAL OF GALADRIEL, which contains the light of Eärendil, brightest of stars. 'May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.'

IMG_0233_web.jpg

INKTOBER, Day 13: DUNE
'Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild WERE-WORMS in the Last Desert.' ― Bilbo Baggins, from The Hobbit, 'An Unexpected Party'

IMG_0246_web.jpg

INKTOBER, Day 14: ARMOR
Royal Guard of ROHAN, in a scale hauberk, splinted leather pauldrons, and plate vambraces and greaves. This is my first pen sketch, with no pencil underdrawing – though I did mark up a few key measurement points, so I could stay on scale (no pun intended).

Reference: WETA Workshop sculpture
IMG_0251_web2.jpg

INKTOBER, Day 18: TRAP
OLD MAN WILLOW, up to no good.

'Pippin had vanished. The crack by which he had laid himself had closed together, so that not a chink could be seen. Merry was trapped: another crack had closed about his waist; his legs lay outside, but the rest of him was inside a dark opening, the edges of which gripped like a pair of pincers.' – The Lord of the Rings, 'The Old Forest'

Reference: Original tree drawing by Amber R Turner

IMG_0303_web2.jpg

Last edited:
INKTOBER, Day 19: DIZZY
BILBO BAGGINS, holding on for dear life to Dori's leg as they're carried to safety by a Great Eagle.

'At the best of times heights made Bilbo giddy.... So you can imagine how his head swam now, when he looked down between his dangling toes and saw the dark lands opening wide underneath him, touched here and there with the light of the moon on a hill-side rock or a stream in the plains.' ― The Hobbit, 'Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire'

IMG_0305_web2.jpg

Last edited:
INKTOBER, Day 20: CORAL
In all of Tolkien's works that I have access to, I found only one instance of the word 'coral'— in the nonsense poem 'Errantry', written in 1933 and later published in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil:

'He made a shield and morion
of coral and of ivory...'

While the poem itself contains nothing of Middle-earth, it later inspired Tolkien to rewrite it (with it's curious meter and much of its structure) as the Song of Eärendil, in The Lord of the Rings. Upon publication, Tolkien created a Middle-earth 'history' of the original poem, stating that Bilbo had written it shortly after his return from Erebor, himself not knowing much about the history of Elves, and later rewrote it as the Song of Eärendil after living and studying in Rivendell.

Reference: Ceremonial shield from the tomb of Philip II of Macedon (father of Alexander the Great), made with ivory and gold, which I replaced with coral

IMG_0307_web.jpg

INKTOBER, Day 23: RIP
A BLACK RIDER finds the brown woollen mat that Nob placed on the bed in the Prancing Pony, in imitation of Frodo's head. The morning after, the company finds that 'the beds were tossed about, and the bolsters slashed and flung upon the floor; the brown mat was torn to pieces.'

IMG_0322_web3.jpg

Hello artists! Thank you to everyone who has thus far submitted your Tolkientober works!

Although October is over, we're going to keep the thread open for you to post any backlogged pieces or new pieces you were recently inspired to make. Continue submitting in the coming weeks and you may be among the works featured on MCME's Social Media! (yes you read that right)

We look forward to seeing more of your amazing works ;)