• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Upcoming customisable 3D blocks in 1.8

NOOOO I want to be able to USE fancy graphics!!! But this will most certainly be a "fancy graphics only" type thing... :( And without it, the sides of the grass blocks don't match up with the tops.......... I love and hate Mojang at the same time...

So.. it's just like changing a texture of a block and we wouldn't need to replace it if we were to update some of the eriador, lothlorien, rohan, and gondor blocks?

So.. it's just like changing a texture of a block and we wouldn't need to replace it if we were to update some of the eriador, lothlorien, rohan, and gondor blocks?
Yer, I believe the shape of the block is dependent on the resource pack.

To be honest, I'm not really that excited about this. I didn't get into minecraft for it's graphic appearances that's why I dislike hd textures. I got into MC because what you could achieve was limited only by your imagination. If I wanted high graphics there's a ton of games better than this. For those who lag out badly in dense forests imagine how bad it could be now? Anyway just my 2 cents...

I agree, Minecraft needs to stay blocky. The main building blocks should stay like they are, we were able to build great-looking stuff with 2D-textures alone, why should we change that?
There are some things though where it would be cool to make use of the new possibilities, but it isn't necessary to create more than a handful of "special purpose" blocks like a palantir or a pukelman statue thing.

To be honest, I'm not really that excited about this. I didn't get into minecraft for it's graphic appearances that's why I dislike hd textures. I got into MC because what you could achieve was limited only by your imagination. If I wanted high graphics there's a ton of games better than this. For those who lag out badly in dense forests imagine how bad it could be now? Anyway just my 2 cents...

This feature wouldn't be used everywhere, just for certain blocks, so it wouldn't lag that much. As others have said, just because you can make smooth HD models, you don't have to. It just gives us more freedom when it comes to things like the pukel-men or the palantiri as Jey said, and lets us make things like ladders look better without ruining the 'feel 'of Minecraft.

another interesting idea would be introducing already available block shapes in new orientations, as vertical slabs and stairs (for diagonal structures) or horizontal fences (for improved structures as in Rivendell)
Diagonals would be great. Especially in areas where we cant avoid them. E.g: Minas tirith.