• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Aldburg Revamp

Is it time to revamp Aldburg?

• Yeah, why did we wait this long?

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Yup, sounds cool

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Whats Aldburg?

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
ALDBURG REVAMP
/warp AldburgTemporary

Project Leader: Fireinferno13
Reserve Leader: Thijs1801
Project Staff: Sylvin, YourDearKing

Background Lore:

Aldburg in Old English means "Old Fortress"

The fortress was originally built by Eorl to house the king, making it one of the earliest settlements. However after Brego, his son, completed the Golden Hall of Edoras, the King's family moved their and passed the city to Eomer's grandfather.

Strategically, this location was where the East-Mark would muster given its convenience and prime location.

General Plan:
  1. Terrain (done)
    • Remove Old City
    • Redo Surrounding Terrain
  2. Layout (done)
    • Layout City
    • Mark Houses
    • Create Plotbuild
  3. Construction (in progress)
    • Fix up Walls/Towers
    • Open Plotworld
    • On Site Building
    • Roads
    • Redo Nearby Forest
  4. Details (in progress)
    • Add Street Details
    • Add Signs of Age
Map:

i97ZO6o.png

Concept Art:

27cd8e057e2002101d593df7a357377c.jpg

Key Structures:

• Mead Hall
  • Tavern
  • Stables
  • Healer
  • Barber
  • Tailor
  • Tanner
  • Thatcher
  • Herbalist
  • Falconer
  • Butcher
  • Stone Quarry
  • Pitch Collector
Aldor
Baldor
Baldred
Brego
Brytta
Ceorl
Déor
Déorbrand
Déorgar
Déorhelm
Déorthain
Déorwine
Dernfara
Derngar
Dernhelm
Dernwine
Dúnhere
Eadbearn
Éadig
Éadmód
Elfhelm
Elfwine
Éoblod
Éogar
Éoheort
Éohere
Éoman
Éomód
Éomund
Éorcanstan
Éored
Éorl
Éorllic
Éothain
Éowine
Erkenbrand
Fasthelm
Fastred
Fengel
Folca
Folcred
Folcwine
Fréa
Fréaláf
Frëawine
Freca
Frumgar
Fulgar
Fulgrim
Fulor
Fulthain
Gálmód
Gamling
Gárbald
Gárulf
Gárwine
Gléobeam
Gléomer
Gléothain
Gléowine
Goldwine
Gram
Grimbold
Guthbrand
Guthláf
Guthmer
Guthred
Haleth
Háma
Héostor
Herumer
Heruthain
Heruwine
Holdred
Holdwine
Horn
Léod
Léofa
Léofara
Léofred
Léofwine
Léonere
Thengel
Walda
Wídfara
Wulf
Key and To-Do:

• Main Keep (orange)
    • Primarily Stone/Brick
  • Inner Wall (dark red)
    • Raised
  • Outer Palisades (red)
  • Town Meeting Hall (black)
  • Market Square (pink)
  • Rich District (yellow)
    • Slightly Raised
    • Style: Edoras Normal House
  • Poor District (purple)
    • Style: Freca Poor Houses
  • Normal District (everything else)
    • Style: Lower Class of Edoras
  • Vineyard (dark green)
  • Farms/Pastures (green)
  • Farm Houses (light blue)
    • Style: Freca Poor Houses
  • Quarry (blue)
JOBS

None at the moment, sorry!

Attachments

• usm46tx.png
    usm46tx.png
    659.9 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
ALDBURG REVAMP
/warp Aldburg

Project Leader: Fireinferno13
Reserve Leader: DSESGH
Project Staff: tbt
(msg if interested)

Background Lore:

Aldburg in Old English means "Old Fortress"

The fortress was originally built by Eorl to house the king, making it one of the earliest settlements. However after Brego, his son, completed the Golden Hall of Edoras, the King's family moved their and passed the city to Eomer's grandfather.

Strategically, this location was where the East-Mark would muster given its convenience and prime location.

General Plan:
  1. Terrain (hold)
    • Remove Old City
    • Redo Surrounding Terrain
  2. Layout (hold)
    • Layout City
    • Mark Houses
    • Create Plotbuild
  3. Construction (hold)
    • Construct Walls/Towers
    • Open Plotworld
    • On Site Building
    • Roads
  4. Details (hold)
    • Add Street Details
    • Add Various Details
    • Add Signs of Age
Map:

jCSol3miKXhe2.png

Concepts:

jYJcBSHqylz80.png

TLD08.jpg

nikolay-razuev-final-vikings2-final-1400.jpg

latest

Key Structures:

• Mead Hall
  • Tavern
  • Stables
  • Healer
  • Barber
  • Tailor
  • Tanner
  • Thatcher
  • Herbalist
  • Falconer
  • Butcher
  • Stone Quarry
  • Pitch Collector

Key and To-Do:

• Main Keep (orange)
  • Inner Wall (red)
    • Raised
  • Town Meeting Hall (black)
  • Market Square (pink)
  • Rich District (yellow)
    • Slightly Raised
  • Poor District (purple)
  • Vineyard (dark green)
  • Farms/Pastures (green)
  • Farm Houses (light blue)
  • Quarry (blue)
I would call this project a success even if you just updated the roofs. ;)

What do people think of doing an inner and outer wall?

The current version only has the inner but plans were made multiple times to add an outer wall to emphasize the "fortress" aspect.

I think it might look good with a sort of low wood wall, like a palisade around the bailey in a motte-and-bailey castle. I agree with dse that its not a huge city so it doesn't need a very strong wall. or one that you can walk all around and guard.

I like the project. As our skills improve, going back to redo earlier projects and improve them in some way is great ideas

SOLUTION: I updated the layout map, it now includes a larger inner wall district instead to emphasize that original "fortified keep" aspect of the city, as smaller town houses were built later as the city grew.

I was also thinking of raising the rich districts up so that they are above the normal/poor districts

Last edited:
I think it might look good with a sort of low wood wall, like a palisade around the bailey in a motte-and-bailey castle. I agree with dse that its not a huge city so it doesn't need a very strong wall. or one that you can walk all around and guard.
While Tolkiengateway translates "Aldburg" simply as "Old fortress", the german wiki (Aldburg) gives a more specific translation as "city surrounded by walls". However I agree that it should be something clearly less massive than Edoras.

There's a nice Nordic palace in Andrast made by Mandos that has to be removed, do you wanna see it? you need to change the roof since is in gondor pack tho

While Tolkiengateway translates "Aldburg" simply as "Old fortress", the german wiki (Aldburg) gives a more specific translation as "city surrounded by walls". However I agree that it should be something clearly less massive than Edoras.
Yeah the lore is very unclear about how "fortified" the city really was.

This is why I was considering focusing on the fortress part primarily - I could even make that central district larger and with more walls

The other option is adding a stone palisade around it which could also work

There's a nice Nordic palace in Andrast made by Mandos that has to be removed, do you wanna see it? you need to change the roof since is in gondor pack tho
Sure, post it here?

Yeah the lore is very unclear about how "fortified" the city really was.

This is why I was considering focusing on the fortress part primarily - I could even make that central district larger and with more walls

The other option is adding a stone palisade around it which could also work

Actually the first option would make more sense, as assumingly Aldburg was called Aldburg since its foundation; so the "wall around city" would only apply to the part of Aldburg that was there at the start.

Aldburg is the Capital of the Eastfold, was original city of Eorl the Young and remains a seat of nobleman, which would give reason to have an outer protective palisade to protect the majority of buildings above that of a normal village in middle of the plains.

Personally I'd go with a bigger inner wall for the rich district, the original "city surrounded by walls", and a small palisade for the outer wall.
The theory behind that is that they originally had a smaller town, the original Aldburg, completly surrounded by walls. Over time the city grew and new houses were built outside said wall. They kept the name ('cause why change it?) and kept going like that for some time. But when the sightings (and maybe raids) of orcs and dunelanders increased in the recent past, they fortified it again. A light palisade is what they'd build in that case: Easy enough to erect in a few months, reasonably effective and can still be seen as temporary ("When this is over we can just go back to normal").
I'd go with a sturdy wooden wall with stone foundation for the inner and a rough wooden palisade (4-5 blocks high) for the outer wall.

On another note: Have you thought about putting the spring of that upper right stream/river near the center of town? Constant water supply is always a good argument when founding a settlement.

MAP UPDATED

Decision:
1) Original, inner wall (large, stone)
2) Newer, outer palisades surrounding city

On another note: Have you thought about putting the spring of that upper right stream/river near the center of town? Constant water supply is always a good argument when founding a settlement.
I would consider moving it a little closer, however I think the water source is close enough to the city to motivate a settlement

Last edited: