• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Aldburg Revamp

Is it time to revamp Aldburg?

• Yeah, why did we wait this long?

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Yup, sounds cool

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Whats Aldburg?

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
How is the style of the main fortress going to differ from the original, @Fireinferno13 ?
Significantly.

Rather than simply making a rohan style house that just happens to be made of stone, I am planning on making the keep both larger and a little more impressive than the previous version.

It will still follow somewhat closely to the Rohan "style", however I dont think it will be like any of the keeps in that region so far. I will be doing a lot of concept work myself and with others to settle on a proper style before construction - however if you have any ideas or concept art please feel free to post them here as I am open to suggestion

Here is a small example of what I was thinking kinda sorta, less pointy more fortressy
4164489-The-castle-majestically-looking-down-on-the-village-and-river-0.jpg

That's Cochem Germany. Rohan is based more off Old English (The Rohirric language is literally Old English) and even Viking stuffs.
Also, just a general suggestion, Squares are pretty boring.

The Rohirric language is literally Old English
Nope. Old English actually replaces Rohirric because Tolkien said the relation between Rohirric and Westron was the same than the one between English and Old English ;) .

Nope. Old English actually replaces Rohirric because Tolkien said the relation between Rohirric and Westron was the same than the one between English and Old English ;) .
Sorry, can you reword that? I don't really get what you're saying.

Tolkien uses English in his books to represent Westron, the common language. To represent Rohirric he uses Old English in his books.
Tolkien would probably call it translation from Westron to English and translation from Rohirric to Old English. (LotR Appendix F)

Tolkien said that his reason to do so was:
Westron evolved from Rohirric (and Adûnaic with influences from Sindarin) like English evolved from Old English.

I think what glove was referring too is the fact Tolkien drew a lot of his inspirations for Rohan from the Anglo Saxons and some Northern Structures (Namely Hrothgar's Hall from Beowulf). In this respect it wouldn't relate at all to a Norman style castle, more related to Anglo Burgs, which were generally semi-fortified fortresses with basically an entire city within them.
662792b1bac592db3322a86346b26955.jpg

Tolkien even put 'Burg' within the name. Also it fits much more with the vague description given of Edoras as having an earthen/stone dike-wall with a spiked fence upon it, I'd most likely assume Aldburg would have the same.

I think what glove was referring too is the fact Tolkien drew a lot of his inspirations for Rohan from the Anglo Saxons and some Northern Structures (Namely Hrothgar's Hall from Beowulf). In this respect it wouldn't relate at all to a Norman style castle, more related to Anglo Burgs, which were generally semi-fortified fortresses with basically an entire city within them.
662792b1bac592db3322a86346b26955.jpg

Tolkien even put 'Burg' within the name. Also it fits much more with the vague description given of Edoras as having an earthen/stone dike-wall with a spiked fence upon it, I'd most likely assume Aldburg would have the same.
I am aware of this as well as where he drew his influence from don't worry. The picture I posted as simply the first one that i saw and posted as I was going out the door for vacation.

Based on your post, this would once again bring up the idea of having both an inner and an outer wall for aldburg as to emphasize the fortress aspect. I will be sure to do more concept work and planning before starting the building process fear not.

EDIT: I updated my project post with a picture of an Anglo-Saxon burh that I thought encompassed what I was looking for in the New Aldburg :)

Last edited:
As for concept builds and screenshots I have some:
(Warning: Long list.)

Imbage1.png

Rich house, elevated like the one in the image.

kabigfh.png

Farmhouse

sII57Km.png

Small Palisade

1I55udj.png

MmS18K0.png

Larger Palisade, reinforced with stone

trBtBJZ.png

Inner Wall: What I see for the 'Inner wall' for Aldburg is that it is
not tall, only about 10 blocks high, and mostly made of wood.

and as a little bonus:

WgIVqSF.png

Market Stalls, put in small clusters around the town.

Further Suggestions:

I prefer solid roofs of Dark Oak stairs (textured as thatching) over the wheat ones, they look more realistic.
(Unless people in Rohan grew crops on their roofs, for that would make more sense of wheat ones.)

I like how the wall-towers in Edoras are spread out in the fashion of an unpunctual interval, as well as the walls being all curvy and not straight. I see the outer (and inner) walls for Aldburg to be like this as well.

Update:

Terrain is done (thank you @Emilio_ )

Preliminary planning in progress, more layouts to come

IM LOOKING FOR WALL CONCEPTS!
If you have an idea you can try to build a small concept at AldburgConcept on plotworld

Last edited:
Also the keep of Aldburgkeepcon is one of the oldest structures in Rohan, even older then the city of Edoras, it is also the home of Erol the young and then another branch of the royalty of Rohan. It should pretty amazing

UPDATE

Outer level layout complete
Quarry layout complete
Palisades in progress

HELP REQUESTED:
I am struggling with coming up with a proper wall and keep design! If you have any ideas or concepts please post them here! All opinions are helpful!

ARTISTS - You are free to build any of the buildings marked with gold (look by either gate)

EVERYONE ELSE - We should have a normal housing build up and running in the next few days, otherwise hang tight!

UPDATE:

I gave feedback to all the built and wip houses - there are still plenty available so go build one before they fill up!

Artists - houses marked with orange wool need some love from you, or build a special house marked with gold (in your free time)