• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Annuminas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ive started it, but most likely wont finished before I leave for Italy (13th Jan - 16th Feb) Feel free to finished it Mr Ivan.

I'm going to start on the roads around the city and maybe get someone on the towers too. Check out for new stuff and let me know if it fits in.

If you look at the new progress post, at the start of the thread, Ive divided the city up into sections. If you want to work on the roads and buildings/towers in Section 2 that would be amazing. I've also got some tower markers around Section 5 as well. There is an example outpost built by Wheellee a while ago, near the palace if you want to have a looksies. :D

Hey I was wondering why the canals are there and the bridge even though the lake eventually flooded to reach it. It seemed pretty weird to me.

Hey I was wondering why the canals are there and the bridge even though the lake eventually flooded to reach it. It seemed pretty weird to me.
If you look under the start of bridge, the canal ran into the sewage system underneath it, although its in ruins now.

Alright, I thought an update here is in order:
Me and jacenpeter along with the other guys worked on some of the buildings and keep going step by step.
I'm planning to reorganise the layout a little of the city and if any artists are interested in doing some special things, let me know and send me a message on the forums.
I will try to make more plans for annuminas but in the meantime, you guys will have to be patient.
Cheers

I've said this on the server occasionally, and I know its probably impossible given how hilly the local geography is. Plus it *is* a lot of work. But wouldn't it make sense that Annuminas be about the same size of Osgiliath? They were both capitals of their respective realms at their peaks, and Arnor was every bit as grand as Gondor in its day (the other discussion about the ruined non-lore towns in Eriador prompted this thought).

Looking at the topography, I know this isn't really feasible, its about as big as it can get unless its also built on all the hills as well. But right now it almost looks as if Fornost is bigger, and while Fornost is in of itself a grand city too, and was capital of Arnor for awhile, Annuminas was the original and 'main' capital during its height.

I'm sure this has been discussed among the designers though from before I joined, just thought I would bring it up.

EDIT: Also realized scale on the map may be an issue. A huge city would creep awfully close to the north farthing in the Shire. So yeah, maybe not feasible anyway.

I've said this on the server occasionally, and I know its probably impossible given how hilly the local geography is. Plus it *is* a lot of work. But wouldn't it make sense that Annuminas be about the same size of Osgiliath? They were both capitals of their respective realms at their peaks, and Arnor was every bit as grand as Gondor in its day (the other discussion about the ruined non-lore towns in Eriador prompted this thought).

Looking at the topography, I know this isn't really feasible, its about as big as it can get unless its also built on all the hills as well. But right now it almost looks as if Fornost is bigger, and while Fornost is in of itself a grand city too, and was capital of Arnor for awhile, Annuminas was the original and 'main' capital during its height.

I'm sure this has been discussed among the designers though from before I joined, just thought I would bring it up.

EDIT: Also realized scale on the map may be an issue. A huge city would creep awfully close to the north farthing in the Shire. So yeah, maybe not feasible anyway.

Annuminas and Fornost were probably roughly the same size and if you go to Annuminas some places have been planned to be built on the hill so its not finished yet and may grow a bit more.

Annúminas (founded 3320 S.A., 122 years before begining of T.A.) was abandoned in the years after the war of the Last Alliance.

"In the North after the war and the slaughter of the gladden Fields the Men of Westernesse were diminished, and their city of Annúminas beside Lake Evendim fell into ruin; and the heirs of Valandil (died 249 T.A) removed and dwelt at Fornost..." (Fellowship of the Ring, The Council of Elrond).

It seems that Annuminas is larger than Fornost and was abandoned for beeing too large for the remaining people of Arnor.

Last edited:
Annuminas was abandoned much sooner than I thought. Thought it was around for about 800-1000 years. Still, that is pretty good evidence that it was a huge city. If I recall, at the end of the second age, Arnor was the greater of the Realms in Exile (being led by Elendil rather than his sons, who led Gondor).

If I could, I would make annuminas larger, but the scale of the map prevents me of expanding a lot more south. I will place a lot more buildings further east along the city and I want to build more dense, so the city feels a lot bigger once you walk through it. During the ruining process, I was also thinking of making a lot of stone remnants around the city of buildings that got weathered to the foundations.

Thanks for the considiration seafroggys.

ARTIST TO DO LIST!

1. Houses - A lot of them are outlined, build them at your own will. I have been adding more plots as to try and address the concern of the city being "too small".
  2. Vegetation/Gardens (green) - These are marked all over the place, feel free to add trees, vegetation, flowers, benches, birdbaths, whatever where you see the corresponding wool. Please limit fountain building! I know this is a fall back so avoid it!
  3. Paths (brown) - There is a road up to a watchtower by the front gate. Build it! done
Note: I will hopefully set up a community wide freebuild sometime this week so adventures can participate as well. I am a little pushed for time right this second though. Please stay tuned!

LETS GET THIS PROJECT DONE LADIES!

Last edited:
After talking with the other project staff and Mr Fishy, we have decided to put this project ON HOLD until further notice. We simply dont have the man power right now, in terms of both staff and the community, to build this while other major projects are occurring in Gondor.

Once we knock off a few more projects and I get some more staff to join in and help, we can start this back up again!

I can imagine Denethor II shouting "The South shall rise again!" and then taking a huge swig of horrendously sweet tea, biting into another tomato, and turning on a television to a NASCAR race.

Status
Not open for further replies.