• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Artist/builder Feedback

@thomasd15
Since I already discussed the first theme build and you got a pretty decent pelargir house, I'm just going to focus on the last build of yours. If you'd like a small resume on the other builds, just ask me somewhere and I'll go over them again.

For the latest build (think it's lond daer), I really like your improvement on terrain. You use a good set of shapes and terrain features and your block choice is in my opinion better and more realistic. It sort of more puts you in the right atmosphere when you walk through it and fits really well with the theme. I would keep using that method for any terrain you will do in the future and I don't see anything going wrong with that. Well done!
The buildings themselve are also pretty good and seem like a good standard ruin for your build. It might be a little empty, knowing lond daer was a massive city but the amount of buildings are nicely balanced through your theme build. A lot of people ignore balance and it's pretty important for theme builds. I would maybe placed more rubble or signs of rubble around your ruins. Like the top of the tower or a small heap of stones under those docks. It doesn't have to be a lot but it just has to show what might have happened to the buildings. If I do ruins, I try to tell a story with them because it always comes over a bit more impressive to people not knowing what you made. It sort of shapes it all into 1 complete build/story and everyone will be impressed with the amount of detail and thought the maker has put into the build. I would suggest trying that whenever you ruin something (even if it's a road although that's only in some occasions and that is pretty difficult to do). Good work anyway, I can already see improvement going from the minas tirith build to the lond daer.

You may not have realised that yet Will, but with the fancy new TB plugin it is possible to give the players more to start off their builds than a plain square plot, e.g. for Lond Daer I gave the terrain so that one can focus on the buildings. However the vegetation (trees, bushes, flowers) are done by thomas and there a good job was done ;)

You may not have realised that yet Will, but with the fancy new TB plugin it is possible to give the players more to start off their builds than a plain square plot, e.g. for Lond Daer I gave the terrain so that one can focus on the buildings. However the vegetation (trees, bushes, flowers) are done by thomas and there a good job was done ;)
Aaaaahhh I see. Good job finrod!

@King_Much
Did you already go for an application? I think you might want to wait what happens to your app before you start asking feedback, because I find it easier to give feedback on apps that haven't made it. That way I can give feedback on a number of theme builds without having to do 1 extensively each time.
If you want to talk about it (which suits me a little more, because I don't have to typ it all), send me a forum private message/conversation and we'll try to meet up on teamspeak.
Cheers

@toeyoman You don't suck man, I'll take a look at it and I'll give some pointers but it really looks pretty good at first sight.
EDIT: Your lond daer is probably one of the best I've seen so far. I don't think I can give you more pointers. I would say just help out on main and await the next app check. Normally we do it each two weeks.

Last edited:
Finally felt like I should get some *cough* professional help in a major way. You can ignore the bad roof on the first TB because I realise its incongruence with most of Gondor. That was made before I blasted through the first four books during my hiatus up until three weeks ago.

http://antimattergizmo.imgur.com/

Finally felt like I should get some *cough* professional help in a major way. You can ignore the bad roof on the first TB because I realise its incongruence with most of Gondor. That was made before I blasted through the first four books during my hiatus up until three weeks ago.

http://antimattergizmo.imgur.com/
Hey,
I don't have time to write a full feedback right now, but if you want a complete package, try to make a conversation so we can arrange a date to meet on teamspeak.

First a couple of basic common things that will improve your application.
- No Shaders. Why? Because shaders do not show how well you can build. If you want to become artist, shouldn't need shaders for your application builds. We aren't looking for good atmospheric pictures but for good builders. It also make it harder to analyse your builds for us, so no shaders.

- No dark pictures. If you do dark pictures, then try to provide an exact copy of the picture but in daylight. Same reasons as above although you might want to showcase some lighting effects, which is alright.

- You give a lot of pictures which is really nice but try to remove copies of the same or pictures where you can't really see a lot.

Second, the builds:
- You have two quality builds, and I think it should be hard for you to get artist. Although I think you need to perfect your style just a little to improve more. For example, I'd try to streamline your builds a little and try to cut away some details on crowded sections and add a little more details or extras on other parts. On the bridge, you create a lot of good shapes and ideas but they drown each other out in certain spots. Around the bridge though, isn't a lot extra made which can be important. I think zooming out a little and trying to focus on the bigger picture might not be a bad idea to do.

- For the first theme build, I'd say that's not a bad start because you try to do a full atmospheric build with an own created style. Keep doing that and trying out stuff. But make sure that you try to implement a little more depth into walls, alleyways and tight spots. This is however, incredibly difficult so don't feel down when it doesn't work at first. As I said before, keep experimenting and keeping the good stuff.
There is some other extras on your first build but I think some of the tips I would give here are mentioned in the builderschool on freebuild. Just warp builderschool and have a look around the different sections. If something isn't clear, just ask me again.

- Although 2 theme builds is good, try to go for a minimum set of 4. Doesn't have to be 4 themebuilds, as long as 1 of the 4 is a theme build, you're alright. But try to go for a minimum of 4 good builds which you are personally proud of.

Will out, cheers

Thanks for the reassurance. The first Theme was my very first build back around when the last Jesse Cox video brought in droves of droogs like me. I hadn't even explored the server all too much, but I wanted to see what I could do. I sort of threw it in as it was something I've done. I will probably get at least three builds not including that one as well as some of my Plotworld stuff. I was looking at builderschool last night as it was the first I heard of it, but I desperately needed sleep. So all in all I get what you wanted me to understand and in another month I may be ready to make my first application.

Thanks for the reassurance. The first Theme was my very first build back around when the last Jesse Cox video brought in droves of droogs like me. I hadn't even explored the server all too much, but I wanted to see what I could do. I sort of threw it in as it was something I've done. I will probably get at least three builds not including that one as well as some of my Plotworld stuff. I was looking at builderschool last night as it was the first I heard of it, but I desperately needed sleep. So all in all I get what you wanted me to understand and in another month I may be ready to make my first application.
Month? Apply sooner. You never know. I'm not saying that you'll get it, but if you come up with new builds, you never know what will happen.

Will_em I know you are busy and are diseased by the plague of real life, but I think asking you for feedback is long over due. I would first like to apologize in advance by saying all the pictures of Pelargir are in shaders. The other non-categorized builds on the server (there are only two pictures) are either A: taken in shaders or, B: taken at night. I would also like to say sorry for having only one screenshot for the Seven Gates of Gondolin, I only have one because that is all there is to what I built. Now lastly I would like to help you out and tell you stuff I know I did wrong so you don't have to waste more precious time typing away for me. First, and this only applies for a few of the albums, and that is TAKE MORE SCREENSHOTS:cool:. Second is the Green Dragon Inn, as I know it looks bare and not as it probably should look. This is something I am well aware about. The fact was I got rushed and I just put a couple of trees down and said done. If I really spent more time on it I would of added more trees, to make it look like a forest around the Inn then some on the bottom ground. Then some bushes here and there, maybe a couple down the hill. Then I would of also done actually hobbit holes in the side of the hill instead of just doors to the houses. Other then that I would like to hear what you have to say.

P.S. I tried to be as grammatically correct as possible while writing that, because I know you are the grammar police (You have corrected me before on the forums). And I really tried; English is not by strong suit I am getting a B- in English. Math, Science, and History are more my speed.

Seasonal Hobbit Hole

Bamfurlong

Gates of Gondolin

Green Dragon Inn

Pelargir

Other Builds (Both just houses) One in Calembel and one in Imloth Mulei

Wait pinto, you're not artist?
I think it might be better to do this on teamspeak though. I could do this weekend