• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

On Hold Belfalas

Also can you hold off on the houses for right now, as the designers are having a meeting on Saturday if we are going to have diagonal builds in MCME. So, if the answer is yes then this might want to be incorporated into your layout. Also have you thought about water source for village? Storage? Defense? Just an idea but maybe if the huts were against the main river it could also be a fisher's village?
Also agree with Eriol that the fields should be more rectangle or follow landscape. Also have you thought about the three field system for your grains?

Are you going to build the village using the rp 2 or the normal rp? If you plan on using rp 2 have you worked out with Eriol of how to manage it with the merge. If you plan on starting building after the merge than all is fine. Also imo the cow pasture is very tiny. I live in Switzerland and I am surrounded by cow pastures, that is very small. You might want to take that into account.
U write this after I build a whole farm in ironmere :(

Update this thread more often and then I would have known. :D

1527695956291.png
I edited the plan quite a bit. I'll state a couple of things here, the rest will be covered in my replies. I added walls, for example on the slope west of the manor. This will require some hand terraforming; to terrace the terrain.

To the south of the manor there will need to be some trees around the southern rose field, to keep the soil from washing away and eventually defertilizing the soil. I added two rose fields around the manor, because you really need a lot of roses to make a decent amount of rose oil.

I added a swine herd next to the lord's wood. Pigs get a lot of fat from the acorns in the forest. Obviously this would requite the forest to be mostly consisting of oaks. The swine herd is the poorest member of the community, hence he lives outside the village border.

Very nice planning. Just the fields look quite random shaped. Imo they should have a shape defined by practical considerations: Terrain especially streams can define field borders also roads and paths. Otherwise borders should be quite straight as this is most practical (for ploughing for example).
Please plan where there will be paths between the fields and where not. Also the road to the manor seems to run through one fields, wouldn't it be more practical to have the road along the small stream nearby?

I made the fields rectangular or polygonal. The course of the road originally marked with grey wool has been redefined slightly with the brown.

Also can you hold off on the houses for right now, as the designers are having a meeting on Saturday if we are going to have diagonal builds in MCME. So, if the answer is yes then this might want to be incorporated into your layout. Also have you thought about water source for village? Storage? Defense? Just an idea but maybe if the huts were against the main river it could also be a fisher's village?
Also agree with Eriol that the fields should be more rectangle or follow landscape. Also have you thought about the three field system for your grains?

Are you going to build the village using the rp 2 or the normal rp? If you plan on using rp 2 have you worked out with Eriol of how to manage it with the merge. If you plan on starting building after the merge than all is fine. Also imo the cow pasture is very tiny. I live in Switzerland and I am surrounded by cow pastures, that is very small. You might want to take that into account.

I don't plan on doing any diagonal village houses, but maybe I could do the hut-like goat shed angled. This shouldn't look too different from a straight building, since the roof of a straight hut-like shed is already very messy.

Water source of the village is no issue at all, there's plenty of streams and a large river next to it, so there would be plenty groundwater for a well, which I'll add in the village. Also the manor can safely get water from the source of the stream.

Storage: roses are stored in the manor extension, I edited it so that there's an extra barn and there'd be a storage room/house in the village for other crops/wares.

I've planned the manor accordingly to a defensive layout. On the east side, the gardens are protected by a very steep cliffy slope. On the north and west there's a terrace wall which is around 3/4 meters high. The south will have a 3 meter high wall to protect the manor and the fields from wild animals from the forest. If you look at the other walls, they are planned in a manner not necessarily to protect the fields. Fields in medieval times were hardly ever (never) enclosed by walls or hedges. The walls here are planned to keep forest animals out and unwanted visitors from all directions. So the village is very strategically planned.

I have added a dock, was planning to add that later on anyways. This is mostly to transport goods to Dol Amroth and closer villages, and they might set some basket traps by boat from the dock. I don't plan to focus the villagers on fishery tho, it's important to limit the professions. The cow pasture was indeed quite small -I live in the Netherlands, cow pastures all around me :p - but all fields in MCME are scaled down quite a bit. But to improve standards, I firstly enlarged it slightly and secondly assigned it to goats instead of cows. Goats need less room and they can graze somewhere else too, if herded. They would probably be herded to the west, in the hills with sparse trees, near Edhellond.

Lastly about the three-field system. I already incorporated that in my original planning, but I edited a bit so that other fields were involved. I marked them with numbers 1, 2 and 3. @Eriol_Eandur , I didn't know about peas in the three-field system, I've always learned summer-grain, winter-grain and fallow. Summer- and winter-grain could also be different types of grain, like rye, barley or oath. I know that there's certain crops that can help fertilize the land again, while not leaving it fallow. I know that turnip is such a crop. But these lands seem very fertile and well-drained.

Edit: I don't know if it's possible for Eriol to build in rp:2, but I would love to. So up to Eriol

Yeah this looks a lot better, thank for answering all my points. I think you will do a good job. And yeah same I didn't know Peas were included in this three field system and that was why I thought he didn't have it, but glad you now do RPM. Great improvement, love to see this detail of planning and hope others can take this as an example.

On a separate note @Darki @NicTheFifth, I saw you doing streams the other day, however imo they seemed very rocky with their sides and all and considering its going to only be shrubbery I am wondering if it won't stand out too much. Was there a point for this that I missed?

@BWOT I actually followed the style of the other section, and the sides have about as much rock% as the other one, only it's grass% is a tad higher. so I think it will not cause too many issues.

Yes, but we need to copy your village to plotworld and back after the rp merge. Please have in mind that copy/pasting messes up quite a lot of stuff (missing paintings, derped block states of catus e.g.)
So it's your decision, but building in rp2 will require quite some derp fixing after the merge.

• Tomorrow: make planning, assign crops to fields and assign possible professions to houses
  • This week: make house concepts and convert the (image) planning to the world.
  • Deadline: 2 weeks.
Small list of tasks needed to be done for this project
  • Houses in village
  • Farmhouses
  • Fields with voxel support from designer
  • Connecting roads
  • Possible terrain refinement (I don't want to waste much time on this)
  • Vegetation with voxel support from designer
'Project' update: all roads and walls have been done and detailed in jobs today. Also we marked all crops/houses/other colors from the planning, but I still need to line out the house plans since I don't have definitive concepts yet. I experimented a bit with a bit northern-European architecture applied to a southern climate (half hip roof, timber framed)(applied to southern climate as in: gentle sloped roof, light materials).
uDYQUtz.png

unknown.png

do you think you can add hedges behind the Manor walls to give it some more visual appeal? Also, what do you guys think about a discussion-project thread for each project and then kind of an official public -project thread for each topic as I feel some updates are being swamped. And in the discussion ones you can quote people from the official one. @q220 and read RPM's response below plz

Last edited:
Can i draw out the fact that the swine pen need to be bigger, on average a pig will need are 5 M^2 of area dedicated to him , unless you want like 1 or 2 pigs you will need a bigger space for them to grow

do you think you can add hedges behind the Manor walls to give it some more visual appeal? Also, what do you guys think about a discussion-project thread for each project and then kind of an official public -project thread for each topic as I feel some updates are being swamped. And in the discussion ones you can quote people from the official one.
Well there will be gardens around thr manor, which will probably have hedges yes.
I like the idea of super- and subthreads, maybe there's even a special addon for this. Otherwise we could just make new categories for each superthread.

Can i draw out the fact that the swine pen need to be bigger, on average a pig will need are 5 M^2 of area dedicated to him , unless you want like 1 or 2 pigs you will need a bigger space for them to grow
The plan looks much smaller than it actually is. I think the pen is about 8x8 blocks, which according to you would give space for 13 pigs. But more importantly, I based my pen on some medieval reconstruction images. In medieval times the pigs spent a good time of the day in the forest to gather mast, which just means acorn-harvest rly. Acorns contain a ton of fat and provided most of the growth of pigs. Mainly why oaks were so popular.

All houses with interiors are finished. What's left is the manor, the crops, the wood and the vegetation.
Yes, but we need to copy your village to plotworld and back after the rp merge. Please have in mind that copy/pasting messes up quite a lot of stuff (missing paintings, derped block states of catus e.g.)
So it's your decision, but building in rp2 will require quite some derp fixing after the merge.
I built the village, farm walls and roads in rp:Gondor, but I'll use rp:2 for the manor. I'm building it in plotworld rn.

I think our hedges around fields are still far too uniform. They look like hedges in a park or garden. Hedges around fields are usually quite natural and hardly maintained (except cutting back to prevent them from growing on the fields) I think something like this would fit much better:
full

Btw this is north of /warp Marda Calderon