• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Cobweb Texture & Shelob's Lair

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
Cobweb Textures & Shelob's Lair
Purpose
Shelob's Lair will require a host of different web textures in order to give it a sense of both completeness and complexity. As such, I will be designing webs of different sizes, shapes, and densities. I will update this main thread with textures as I go, that being said, I plan to start with ~5 variants per size.

Currently, the proposal is to use redstone wire models (in order to achieve a high amount of versatility) with a slowness modification (to give that sticky feeling), as well as possible client-side variants (to achieve even greater versatility)

Corner Textures
1x1 (done)

1x2 (done)

1x3 (done)

2x2 (done)

Side Textures
1x2 (done)

1x3 (done)

Last edited:
The problem with this is blockstates, what you want to achieve with different densities is just not possible in vanilla. To my knowledge we only have one blockstate for the cobweb.

The problem with this is blockstates, what you want to achieve with different densities is just not possible in vanilla. To my knowledge we only have one blockstate for the cobweb.
Could you elaborate what you mean by the problem being blockstates? I am not familiar with how blockstates work or what is/isn't possible to do. Do you mean we cannot have different sized cobwebs for the block or that we cannot have multiple variants for the block?

Cobweb

A blockstate it literally like a slot where you can add models and textures. In vanilla there is usually one model and one texture for each blockstate. When we have randomized textures it means we are using the same blockstate but we put mutliple textures files in there. The game chooses these at random for the client, meaning what I see in the randomized texture could be different than you. That is why when we do use randomized textures like stone, they are fairly similair so they don't upset builds. We could do the same thing with models, so lets say for one blockstate I want to put in three models of cups, because idc which model cup people see, I just care about that whenever someone uses the 'cup' blockstate, that it looks like a cup. Now for stairs, you would think a stairblock takes one blockstate worth, but no, every direction is a blockstate, because you want it consistent for every client, otherwise it would be random.

All in all, there is only one blockstate in all of vanilla which has that slowdown affect, and if we put different models and textures on it so it looks different, it would be random for the client.

That makes more sense, I did not realize that the block randomization was client-side. Do you have any thoughts on how we should approach the complexity of webs then?

I am thinking we will have to use randomized cobwebs and then for the complex designs, itemblocks and armor stand.

I think there is the possibility of putting only the "wall corner dense" on the actual cobweb blockstate and the rest on and using other blockstates you can walk through (maybe fire?) for the rest.

Just let me know, modeling/blockstates is not my forte but if you guys can come up with something I will happily design the necessary textures.

Since Shelob's lair is a Cave we could have a custom texturepack for it. Using several different Blocks to make a series of cowebs and other interesting items only found there. I was thinking leaves as there is probably not any nearby anyway.

We don't have a lack in blockstates in general, its a lack of this one cobweb blockstate which has specific properties. I think the last thing we want is another custom resourcpack, which would also affect people outside of the cave as regions affect all y values, for a relativley small portion of all of Mordor.

Since Shelob's lair is a Cave we could have a custom texturepack for it. Using several different Blocks to make a series of cowebs and other interesting items only found there. I was thinking leaves as there is probably not any nearby anyway.
We don't have a lack in blockstates in general, its a lack of this one cobweb blockstate which has specific properties. I think the last thing we want is another custom resourcpack, which would also affect people outside of the cave as regions affect all y values, for a relativley small portion of all of Mordor.
Yeah I am also pretty firmly against additional custom resourcepacks. We already have too many as it is in my opinion.

In terms of blockstates and block availability, while using the cobweb block is obviously enticing given that it would give players a "sticky" feeling ingame, would it be possible to simply use a different passable block for each configuration and including multiple variants? For example, 1 block for 1x1 left corners (w/5 variants), 1 block for 1x1 right corners (w/5 variants), 1 block for 1x3 upper left corner (w/5 variants) etc. Its a bit overkill but could help address the issue of having a diverse array of options at our disposal.

Oh yeah we can do that, as Eriol stated with the redstone wire. No problem whatsoever, its just a shame about the sticky feeling.

If it's going to be on the ceiling no1 will notice if it's sticky or not. And perhaps when we use it closer to the ground where people would walk through it we could mix it in with the real cobweb blockstates.

Yeah that is true. I was thinking leaves as it blocks but we could a us a couple glass panes for that as well.

Oh yeah we can do that, as Eriol stated with the redstone wire. No problem whatsoever, its just a shame about the sticky feeling.
If it's going to be on the ceiling no1 will notice if it's sticky or not. And perhaps when we use it closer to the ground where people would walk through it we could mix it in with the real cobweb blockstates.
I agree with Toti, I think it would make sense to intersperse the cobweb block with whatever other non-sticky, passable block we choose to use for each of the cobweb tunnel variants.

@Eriol_Eandur should I begin designing the textures or should I wait until we have tested this concept out?

... intersperse the cobweb block with whatever other non-sticky, passable block we choose
And whatever non-sticky, non-passable block we choose? Probably a glass pane like @Milarwen suggested. Recall that they needed a sword to cut through the web, so surely some it should be too thick to pass through.

We should have a modded version of shelobs lair just to give the sticky feeling, maybe putting it up as download

I mean... theoretically we could do some slowness effect stuff. Idk if @Eriol_Eandur ever looked into stuff like this but I've seen people assign potion effects to the player based on what block they stand on. Maybe that also works when for standing in a block.