• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Cobweb Texture & Shelob's Lair

First pass, thoughts on design and coloring? I tried to encompass the blueish/greenish tint from Shelob's Lair in the movie, but please let me know if anyone thinks a different hue would be better or more realistic.

Last edited:
First pass, thoughts on design and coloring? I tried to encompass the blueish/greenish tint from Shelob's Lair in the movie, but please let me know if anyone thinks a different hue would be better or more realistic.

View attachment 12765View attachment 12766View attachment 12767

the blueish/greenish tints look amazing, but could be a little more amplified, I think. they seem like regular cobweb to me. Furthermore, I love the design, don't change the placement! can the texture be of higher resolution though? RubenPieterMark, for example, made a 128x128. how high is this resolution? my guess is 64x64.

The resolution is perfect imo. I like the tint and I like the look. Keep it up!

the blueish/greenish tints look amazing, but could be a little more amplified, I think. they seem like regular cobweb to me. Furthermore, I love the design, don't change the placement! can the texture be of higher resolution though? RubenPieterMark, for example, made a 128x128. how high is this resolution? my guess is 64x64.
No, I didn't make a 128x128, I made a replacement for it. Mine is 32x32, which imo is a perfect resolution for these detailed blocks. the 128x128 looks awful, especially from distance, and out of place in a 16x16 rp.

Dropping this here:
I know this is a "traditional" web texture but my only problem with the layout is that it only looks good if it is surrounded by blocks on all sides. Which is by no means an issue with your design but simply a shortcoming of the web block itself.
The resolution is perfect imo. I like the tint and I like the look. Keep it up!
They look great! Don't have to change them, imo.
I am glad people like them! I will continue to generate more variants and upload them to the original post (easier to find than digging through this thread).

As for the tint, that is an easy thing to adjust after the fact so if we decide to make them more green/more blue/more whatever I can fix that

I know this is a "traditional" web texture but my only problem with the layout is that it only looks good if it is surrounded by blocks on all sides. Which is by no means an issue with your design but simply a shortcoming of the web block itself.

I am glad people like them! I will continue to generate more variants and upload them to the original post (easier to find than digging through this thread).

As for the tint, that is an easy thing to adjust after the fact so if we decide to make them more green/more blue/more whatever I can fix that
Sure, but thought you might crop parts of it or whatever.

Hello all,

I was brainstorming texture ideas this afternoon and one thing that crossed my mind, which I believe has not been discussed or established yet but feel free to correct me if I am wrong, is how should we approach the spider webbing of Shelob's Lair?

Currently, the idea I have is coming up with a variety of different webbing alternatives. This would include variations in size (ie: 1x1 vs 1x3 vs 3x3), density (ie: thick vs strands), and shapes (ie: corner vs wall vs floor vs combinations). Not to mention details such as corpses/cocoons/etc. I have included a schematic below to illustrate my thoughts. That being said, I am not sure how easily it would be to include all of these suggested alternate textures. Furthermore, this would obviously be quite a lot of work despite the fact that in many cases the same texture could be used for a whole host of orientations, so I am open to suggestions.

View attachment 12710
blue - 1x1, corner, normal density
red - 1x2, wall/corner, dense
green - 2x2, corner, thin
orange - 3x1, ceiling/corner, dense
purple - 1x1, detail (ie: corpse)

If we can come up with a definitive answer to this question, I would be happy to start generating the necessary textures. Though I will need help with the modeling aspect of it.

Thoughts?
I checked again that blockstates of redstone wire are stable and can be edited independently from connecting blocks. The variants you suggested here @Fireinferno13 would need about 40 restone wire blockstates (with all orientations). This should be no problem as we have more than 200 unused blockstates of restone wire.

I checked again that blockstates of redstone wire are stable and can be edited independently from connecting blocks. The variants you suggested here @Fireinferno13 would need about 40 restone wire blockstates (with all orientations). This should be no problem as we have more than 200 unused blockstates of restone wire.
Textures
1x1 (wip)

1x2 (none)

1x3 (none)

2x2 (none)

2x3 (none)

3x3 (none)

3x4 (none)

4x4 (none)

Here is my list to start. Note each variant can be used for multiple orientations. For example, a 1x3 block can be used both for webbing extending primarily along the floor or extending primarily up the wall.

Please let me know if there are any variants that you think I am missing. I am not sure if we need to go above 4x4 or if that is even too big? But I thought it would be good in some cases to have webs that extend across the entire tunnel. Thoughts?

These are going quite well, good work.

I still need someone to input models for these though, shouldn't be hard. But, my modeling program lags too much :D

Finished 1x3 variants.

Other than corners, what other shape variants do you guys think would be worth it? For example, I think it would be good to include some 1x3 or 2x3 wall variants that stretch from ceiling to floor.

How about horizontal and diagonal webs that go from wall to wall? Like in the reference picture.

They look wonderful @Fireinferno13 , what you have made should definitley be sufficient to having a natural feel when walking through the tunnel. My only proposal now is to make a finalized full bock cobweb with mutliple variants that use similiar style.

They look wonderful @Fireinferno13 , what you have made should definitley be sufficient to having a natural feel when walking through the tunnel. My only proposal now is to make a finalized full bock cobweb with mutliple variants that use similiar style.
My problem with the cobweb block is there are very few circumstance in which you can use it and have it look realistic, as it requires blocks touching on both sides... That being said hows this?

1x1