• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Durin's Tower [Contest]

Should the Deadline be moved?

• No - Deadline 24th December 24:00 GMT

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Yes - Deadline 17th December 24:00 GMT

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Yes - Deadline 10th December 24:00 GMT

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finrod_Amandil

Former Head Designer
Supporter
Commoner
Credits
XP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DURIN'S TOWER
Contest
Adventurers +

Lead:
Finrod_Amandil

Judges:
@Credoo
@Finrod_Amandil

/warp Durins Tower

Many people already wondered how Durins Tower, the last of the iconic buildings of the Mountains of Moria, will be done. Well here you have your answer! And you better get hyped for that massively, because you will need a whole lot of passion for what we are expecting:
[00:24:07] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] [A] Credoo: I want it to be perfect
You will have time until a few days before christmas (20th december, 24:00 GMT (16:00 PST)), so it shall be your chistmas present to our beloved server. Make it a build truly worth of MCME! If we can find a clear winner, there won't be a finalist round, but in the other case there may be an extra week for a few participants.

Background lore:
The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers said:
''Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin's Bridge, and none has measured it,' said Gimli. 'Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake. 'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Gloin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dum: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.' 'Long has that been lost,' said Gimli. 'Many have said that it was never made save in legend, but others say that it was destroyed.'It was made, and it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed, ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirak-zigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine. 'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow, and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world. The sun shone fiercely there, but all below was wrapped in cloud. Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightning, they said, smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire. Is not that enough? A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me; and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

Rules:
- You need to apply in this thread with the following information:​
  • Team Name
  • Team Members
  • Plot Type (A or B), see below
A plot will be assigned to you within up to a few days time (I'll try to do it asap). Go to your plot and write your team's name onto the sign over the entrance of the plot.
Two reasons:
- I can be sure everyone read this post; for ThemedBuilds for example many new players don't do that and just start building and often break a guideline. And as most participants may put quite some effort into this I want to make sure that not the whole work is just invalid because a guideline/rule was disregarded.
- I may need to make more plots first, and I have no separate template somewhere, so I have to add more copies before the last available plot is taken.

- Deadline is the 20th of december, 24:00 GMT (16:00 PST).
- Griefing of any kind will be punished (oathbreaker or ban). This also includes if you build in a plot you're not teammember of and one of the actual team has something against it.
- The Judges will choose the best design after the deadline. The winner build gets copied to the main map.

Guidelines:
- Eriador pack
- It's not only about the tower, also the mountain peak shall be shaped nicely.
- You can choose between two kinds of plots:​
A. You get a mountain peak + basic tower outline (everything can be altered)
B. You get a mountain with chopped off peak. May be easier to set up your imagined peak shape.​
- Always build below the yellow wool cross or it will be beyond height limit.
- If you plan on making greater terrain changes, make sure it matches with the terrain at the edges of the plot. The contour there is carved into the plot borders with red wool.
- Don't extend the Tower interior into the mountain. (so don't make the endless stair go down to bedrock :p)
- Important: The tower is to be built at a time before Gandalf fought the Balrog, so no Balrog and ruining only what time and weather would cause.

Tips:
- If you haven't done already, update your texture pack manually as described here: http://mcmiddleearth.com/threads/misty-mountains.1555/page-6#post-21635
- do /warp Silvertine to get to Silvertine on the main map and to get a greater image of the surrounding terrain.
- For your convenience theres warps to every plot: /warp dt#; for plot B05 for example do /warp dt5.

Have fun!

Teams:
A01: This Looks Fun!
A02: barely-a-team
A03: Gilderoy Lockhart
A04: Worthy of Mordor
A05: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ3.1
A06: Night
A07: MelonMasterRace
A08: Name Is Appropriate
A09: Attemptable!
A10: Has nothing better to do
A11: Jetfire301
A12: SoItsJustMeThisTime...
A13: Team Invisible
A14: Insert Wierd Team Name Here
A15: i will try but i will fail, try 2
A16: Stormcloaks
A17: Moria Almighty
A18: OnO
A19: the pink baboon
A20: Uys of Spades
A21: MEandunfortionallynooneelse

B01: Unlucky for some
B02: Durins folk
B03: Ivan1pl
B04: mullerl
B05: Someone had to do it Movie Style
B06: They make em big down in Texas
B07: Loremaster
B08: Tower Guard
B09: Tower Guard
B10: DT
B11: Best Team Name
B12:
B13:
B14:
B15:
B16:
B17:
B18:
B19:
B20:
B21:

Last edited:
All right, there is absolutely no way I am missing this. My computer may still be broken but I will find something! Keep one plot for me :p