• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Petition to Add Moria Footprints

Fireinferno13

One Of Us, One of Us
Commoner
Credits
XP
Hello all,

I would like to petition for the footprints to be added through Moria as soon as possible. While I realize a portion of the path is not yet complete, there are so many new players asking how to get through Moria without enough guides to guide them there. I think it would be in our best interest to mark the way through as much of the paths as possible sometime in the next week given our current huge surge of players.

Fire

I understand that Moria is designed to be a maze, and that you want people to be lost in it and admire it.

But I would also add the footsteps. We've had so many people congratulating us on the idea of the footsteps that it indicates we need to do it for moria too. People actually see more of our map because of the footsteps than without it.

I don't think this has been put in question if to put the footprints in Moria or not. As far as I know we will have footprints. I think @Fireinferno13's petition asks to place them as soon as the tunnels and caves for them exist and not only after Moria is finished.

Where can I sign in to support that petition?

Well what about a compromise to the system and add something else like skulls or bones to indicate the right way just like in paths of the death but a bit more obvious

Well what about a compromise to the system and add something else like skulls or bones to indicate the right way just like in paths of the death but a bit more obvious
I am actually against this compromise.

After dealing with the hordes of new players that we have received over the past few weeks, many of whom wanted to reach the City of the Dead organically by finding their way through the Paths of the Dead but could not because our current system is difficult to follow, I do not think this would be a good method for other future mazes. (In fact I would even suggest we reconsider our decision to make the Paths of the Dead so difficult. But this is a separate point) This is a build and experience server, and I think not putting the footprints down deprives many players of the full experience.

I would be ok with this. Would be great if we can find a similar good aesthetic to guide the path like the footprints.

Concerning the paths of the dead, it being a maze actually brings depth to the server. But making moria too mazey would be overkill. A nice balance would be in line with our builds. Just my opinion though.

In any case, if a decision can’t be found, maybe we should do a poll?

We’ll figure it out, let’s build the f’n thing first.
Cheers!
Willy

I would be ok with this. Would be great if we can find a similar good aesthetic to guide the path like the footprints.

Concerning the paths of the dead, it being a maze actually brings depth to the server. But making moria too mazey would be overkill. A nice balance would be in line with our builds. Just my opinion though.

In any case, if a decision can’t be found, maybe we should do a poll?

We’ll figure it out, let’s build the f’n thing first.
Cheers!
Willy
What would you like the poll options to be? I can edit the thread.

What would you like the poll options to be? I can edit the thread.

Don’t know really, maybe this:
- no path in moria
- footprint path in moria
- other texture path moria

Allthough... I am not sure if this thread would reach the masses that will influence this decision. Can we do a discord poll or facebook poll instead?

I'd like to remind everyone that even if the fellowship's path is very clearly marked, one wrong turn could seriously mess you up because moria is very confusing. I would agree with Willem that being somewhat of a maze seems to be Moria's purpose, though, and that taking wrong turns should be perhaps be encouraged? As far as the specific question of this thread, I would say there should be a path marked but not too too obvious. Also I would point out that people have lots of trouble finding the footprints in dark places like the Old Forest already, and moria probably won't be too different if you don't have a light source; it is possible that some sort of brightly colored texture would be even more obvious than the current footprints.

An idea that I heard before for marking the fellowship's path in Moria was using skeletons of dwarves and orcs pointing the way to go. This can be achieved with the armourstand plugin.

An idea that I heard before for marking the fellowship's path in Moria was using skeletons of dwarves and orcs pointing the way to go. This can be achieved with the armourstand plugin.
I like this idea though i feel like it could more more subtle than them just pointing perhaps could do it based on the direction they are facing to make it seem more like corpses / skeletons but they infact face the direction of the correct route.

- Gadge

Another thought - what if we had a plugin that revealed the footsteps but have them normally invisible with skeletons or such pointing the way

An additional challenge to this suggestion: As Despot devised Moria when the 1:10 scale model was made, there are actually two Fellowship's paths through Moria, once the as described in the book, once the as depicted in the movies. Not sure if this idea is still being followed, but it's definitely one that once was present.

First @TyGl20 I would like to notify you that the same goes for Paths of the Dead, there is one path through it, however it's goal of being a maze in combination of it being very extensive made us create a path that is shown by skulls. We can draw a direct parallel to Moria in this case, as it has also one path (update in the second part of this message) that goes through it, however it's goal is being a maze that has a very large size. This makes me turn to a way of showing the path which is not obvious, but can be relied on if necessary, aka the corpses that 'point' towards the correct way.

Second @Finrod_Amandil yes, there are two fellowship's paths through Moria, both movie and book, Daom and I have actually already planned both paths and all direct connecting halls.

How about a pathway with lit torches to guide the way until Moria is complete or some variant of this so we can use visible light to guide the way. Perhaps having the armor stands holding the torches (if possible). I know this isn’t necessarily lore accurate but it would be the first time something like this has happened. And ofc humans are like moths and will immediately be attracted to light if they lose their way!

it's goal is being a maze that has a very large size

Arguably, the goal of Moria is to be a city, so we shouldn't throw the idea of Moria having common sense functionality out the window. The map of Moria is basically useless for anyone who doesn't know the environment, and most people can't even get around the idea that they can't just fly up and get a birds eye view. However, the biggest issue I see with Moria right now is that people get in the Door of Durin and have no idea how to get through the vast, unfinished mine shafts and chambers to even remotely get close to even Durins Crossroads. Whether or not it is a permanent addition or something we add until Moria is finished, we need something to get people through the unfinished parts so they can not just skip everything until Khazad-dum or beyond.

Last edited: