• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Realism Guides ideas

slaMoria

Moria Hall Professional
Credits
XP
§ Realism Guides Ideas §
I am maybe wrong but I have never seen any proposals for realism guides, so I am making this thread for people who have some ideas but don't want (or have no time) to create their own realism guide.

Now, let me clarify how this thread works : people post their ideas under this thread, and if someone wants to do the realism guide, he just has to reply, "I will do it" or whatever he wants.
I hope this thread will be helpful for you, even if could, maybe, use some ideas too ;-) .

Links that BWOT would love to see here :

About Realism Guides
Realism Guides Inbox

Edit of the 06/23/18 : Current free ideas

Proposed by @RubenPieterMark
  • Defensive layouts (castles and cities)
  • Several food aspects to put in the map (from professions to interior details)
  • Structural supports (arches, vaulted ceilings, material properties)
  • Food production: farms, fishing maybe more
  • Long one: study on society systems and trading aspects in Middle-earth (where would you find roads with inns, where would most ships be, where would Minas Tirith get its grain from, how would Moria get its food (not talking about underground farming btw), would metal products in Rohan be produced locally in each village or be centered around Edoras?)
  • Government system in Middle-earth: Is Gondor a feudal system, would Moria have 'federal' guilds, does Dunland have a capital? (this stuff doesn't matter very much for buildings, but it's interesting stuff to think about for lore and history nerds)
  • Profession guides (maybe one large guide or seperate guides for each profession)
  • Ships
  • Nomadic culture (for Harad and Rhûn)

Proposed by Lindolas :
  • Mansions
  • Harbours (building, purposes, emplacement etc.)

Current taken ideas :

Good link "for anyone who wants to write about any kind of topic" (Ruben once again) : The Village and House in the Middle Ages

Last edited:
  • Defensive layouts (castles and cities)
  • Several food aspects to put in the map (from professions to interior details)
  • Structural supports (arches, vaulted ceilings, material properties)
  • Food production: farms, hunting, fishing maybeh more
  • Long one: study on society systems and trading aspects in Middle-earth (where would you find roads with inns, where would most ships be, where would Minas Tirith get its grain from, how would Moria get its food (not talking about underground farming btw), would metal products in Rohan be produced locally in each village or be centered around Edoras?)
  • Government system in Middle-earth: Is Gondor a feudal system, would Moria have 'federal' guilds, does Dunland have a capital? (this stuff doesn't matter very much for buildings, but it's interesting stuff to think about for lore and history nerds)
  • Profession guides (maybe one large guide or seperate guides for each profession)
  • Ships
I was actually working on a large exterior guide covering a lot of topics a few months ago. It's about halfway done. It's limited to residential houses (like my interior guide), but the points made there can be applied to castle hall roofs or barn walls as well of course.
I've got two other ideas, first being that everyone applying for foreman and designer has to write a realism guide. Arguments for this is that it give a lot insight in how to do research and think about how medieval buildings were built/structured, even if you're just writing about one specific topic. There haven't been a lot of submissions yet, so this might be the solution to get a steady supply. Also it is actually quite fun to do.
Other idea is that maybe ppl shouldn't be obligated to the format which was given by BWOT, but that they can just use it as a guideline.

Last edited:
@RubenPieterMark thank you for your ideas. I will take time to do the one about food production, but I will focus on hunting system and fishing because farms are already known by lots of people.

Here is my suggestion :
mushrooms hunting (it doesn't go with general hunting but has a special place in the Shire)

@RubenPieterMark thank you for your ideas. I will take time to do the one about food production, but I will focus on hunting system and fishing because farms are already known by lots of people.
But the idea is to learn (and teach) how proper farms are to be done, which isn't known to lots of people. Like how fields were generally fenced, what kind of crops you'd find where and how many. Another type of culture is the nomadic way of life, which I (obviously) would guess would only be found in Rhûn and Harad. Quite interesting to study that as well.

But I think it's actually most important to focus on farms, there's a lot to improve there. Also it is the most common form of food production in Middle-earth.

But the idea is to learn (and teach) how proper farms are to be done, which isn't known to lots of people. Like how fields were generally fenced, what kind of crops you'd find where and how many. Another type of culture is the nomadic way of life, which I (obviously) would guess would only be found in Rhûn and Harad. Quite interesting to study that as well.

I meant it should be done in a separate guide.
Also, why do you think rhun doesn't have any villages? It is not in any kind like central asia, blue wizards must have found some towns.

I meant it should be done in a separate guide.
Also, why do you think rhun doesn't have any villages? It is not in any kind like central asia, blue wizards must have found some towns.
Well I didn't say that Rhûn doesn't have any villages, but I said that there probably was some nomadic folks there. Rhûn just means the east -kinda like the Orient- and the area covers many kingdoms and cultures. Same for Harad. Both areas must have had large, infertile, dry areas. For Rhûn because of the distance from the sea and for Harad because of the desert climate obvi. Why do nomads live in dry areas? It's not that they prefer to live there, but rather it's the only way of life in such a dry climate. Nomadic life mainly means constantly traveling, because your lifestock has to find new areas to feed. In other more fertile climates they wouldn't need to move so often because the climate provides enough plant life to sustain a tribe for at least a few years.

Hope that's an answer for ur question and maybe it's even an example of how to realistically approach these kinda questions.

I didn't see it by this way. It helps, thank you !
It definitely needs a guide, but it's not urgent. It could also have it's porper thread
:p

Well, this book sounds interesting, but 300 pages are long for non-english natives (like me). Wait ! He's French ! So, I could have a quick view on this book.
Edit : I have to find it in a book store first :confused:

Last edited:
Well, this book sounds interesting, but 300 pages are long for non-english natives (like me). Wait ! He's French ! So, I could have a quick view on this book.
Edit : I have to find it in a book store first :confused:
It doesn't look like a book that you would find in your general bookstore, I'd just read it online or from your phone if that'll be somewhat readable.