• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Setting up the website

Status
Not open for further replies.
With extensive experiences in law practice, it is my belief according to US law, if the hard drives were in the possession of the hosting company then they are legally liable. But if the hard drives were in the possession of q220 or any other unaffiliated person or company than that company/person is legally liable. In both cases the person/company in possession of the hard drives would be liable unless otherwise stated in the host's Terms of Service (or anything related to that) or otherwise stated in the contract of custody of the hard drives, if there is one (if there isn't then said possessor or the hard drives would be liable unless there was an agreement or Terms of Service or the like). These laws vary by country and by host so don't quote me on any of this :p

Yeah, except this company is in Germany. So it falls under different laws, a lawsuit also costs a lot of money in the defense, and the data that was lost might be a tragedy, it wasn't really valuable money wise. So I decided to not take any further measures.

Anyways, as long as they can't give us the lost data back money doesn't help us that much, for that it may not be that important if they are liable or not

I asked them for a compensation, but I haven't heard back yet.

ohh noo, i prefer the old look.

If you like the old look, theres a post in the Development Blog that explains how you can change the style if you prefer the old standard look :3

I cant seem to find daily birthdays under the members section anymore. How will i remember to wish Wolli a Happy Birthday?

for people who keep losing and regaining (or just losing) access to the website: change your DNS server to 8.8.8.8

Q? I have an odd request for the website. I know it will never happen, but can we add a "DISlike" button for messages? There are so many more that I'd use that on than the like button.

Also, if it ever happens that facebook creates "enemy requests", let me know. I'll finally join if that happens.

The general consensus is that if someone posts a sad post and then if people "like" it, that means they feel sorry for the sad issue in the post.

This is my first forum post (mostly to stop the new player pop-up).
I actually do like the new look. :)

I dunno if this had been stated yet, but now that mcme.co is gone/ no longer being used, will a page with the current jobs and people online(etc.) be added to this site at some point, like there was on mcme.co?

Q is aware of the usefulness of mcme.co, and I believe there are plans in the pipeline to bring some of those features over to mcmiddleearth.com. At the end of the day, having it all under one roof is far superior, and I know that Q is on top of making sure that the web UX will be top-notch.
This was before the whole meggate thing, so it might not apply.

Why does this sound suspiciously like the place where I work, and a box I have now dubbed the "demon server"?

Why does this sound suspiciously like the place where I work, and a box I have now dubbed the "demon server"?
Because power struggles occur everywhere, before this whole thing happened, Megga was easily the most influential person on the server with the possible exception of q himself.

Because power struggles occur everywhere, before this whole thing happened, Megga was easily the most influential person on the server with the possible exception of q himself.

Influential in terms of accessibility/capabilities to the box, yes. Power Struggles happen due to indifferences with common goals and absent mission statement, undistinguished accountability and lack of sufficient communication, to name a few.

The contributing reasons to the predicament was the expectancy to have a unified system, however this got polarised as one did not agree with that decision. We could not have 2 different domains on the same box and essentially Q intended to have the box solely for mcmiddleearth with the exception of mcme.co to handle only SOME features, and not to be one big entity when there was no consistency between the two. Unfortunately, push comes to shove over time, things unfold and it doesn't end well.

But as we identify these issues, we can act pessimistic about the future or we become more resilient. learn from the those mistakes and be better than our previous selves.. So I'd say we are currently doing that.

The purpose of RAID is to ensure the server stays up in the event of a disk failure, as well as providing a level of data protection. However, this is no guarantee of safety, as disks from the same batch tend to die around the same time, especially Seagates. There are ways of improving reliability further, depending on configuration.

Mirroring with two drives can survive a single disk failure. However, you can mirror to as many disks as you like. If you want better protection, a 3 or more disk mirror is safer. RAID 6 can survive any two disk failures. And RAID 10 can survive two failures as long as they are not on the same side of the array, or more if you add more disks. Some controllers also offer the ability to have a hot spare, which will be automatically be brought into play should any one disk fail.

As always, though, RAID should be considered more a means of ensuring uptime than data protection. It is no substitute for normal backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.