• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Canceled Shredz7 MCME Artist Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredz7

Slab Fanatic
Credits
XP
Date joined: joined in October 2016, left in Summer 2017, then came back in October 2018.

Jobs:
- Like ten trees for ReubenPeiterMark
- 3 terrain smoothing plots for Eriol_Eandur near Ironmere
- 4 jobs in the Dol Amroth sewers
- 2 Ironmere houses
- 1 Moria tunnel with Darktempliers
- part of a small Moria chamber with Darktempliers.
- 3 Moria ruining jobs
- 1 Moria floor design job (with others)
- 1 Moria floor job

Theme builds & Job Photos: Shredz7 MCME (These are in chronological order, oldest at the top, newest at the bottom)

Interests: my favorite used to be Gondorian but now I like all (they all have their own quirks; I would never want to build with just one) so I guess Tolkienian? I generally like building in more medieval styles outside of MCME, but also like to build some more futuristic/modern houses every once in a while.

Motivation: Just look at all these amazing builds! The work put into it is insane. I definitely want to be a part of this, and have some place to share my interest in building and LOTR. Plus, the community is awesome and welcoming.

I have been inactive for a while due to being busy with school and other things, but am coming back onto the server more often now and still would like to pursue artist.

Last edited:
Hello Shredz7.
I see you haven't done that meny jobs yet but keep up the good work and if you haven't gotten the Commoner rank yet I'd suggest you try to attain it as this will show that you're trusted by our comunity which in turn will ease your artist application.

As for your theme builds your tower of Mindon Eldaliéva looks rather small in your screenshots. Try to fill out the space given to you in the plot as much as possible. Building an all white building makes detailing hard so the addition of details in the form of intricate shapes becomes extra important. Try add details to your build ysing stair and wall blocks.
As for your Brown Lands theme build I really like it. No, I absolutely love it. Perhaps the density of trees, ruins and shrubbery is a bit too high if this was how we built the Brown Lands in the main map but for a theme build it looks absolutely perfect. Just one pro-tip though. When building trees do /get logs to get wood with bark texture on all six sides and use that to build trees so they don't look like they're sawed of or made out of a pile of logs.
Keep up the good work and try to partake in as meny jobs as you can to get more experience and to work your way towards the Artist rank.

Hello Shredz7.
I see you haven't done that meny jobs yet but keep up the good work and if you haven't gotten the Commoner rank yet I'd suggest you try to attain it as this will show that you're trusted by our comunity which in turn will ease your artist application.

As for your theme builds your tower of Mindon Eldaliéva looks rather small in your screenshots. Try to fill out the space given to you in the plot as much as possible. Building an all white building makes detailing hard so the addition of details in the form of intricate shapes becomes extra important. Try add details to your build ysing stair and wall blocks.
As for your Brown Lands theme build I really like it. No, I absolutely love it. Perhaps the density of trees, ruins and shrubbery is a bit too high if this was how we built the Brown Lands in the main map but for a theme build it looks absolutely perfect. Just one pro-tip though. When building trees do /get logs to get wood with bark texture on all six sides and use that to build trees so they don't look like they're sawed of or made out of a pile of logs.
Keep up the good work and try to partake in as meny jobs as you can to get more experience and to work your way towards the Artist rank.
Thanks! I'm gonna keep working on it and am really getting close to Commoner!

Your brown lands look awesome, totally agree with @ryttyr. I should give you some terrain in Belfalas to work on :D

Your Mindon Eldaliéva seems unrealistic to me. A tower should always have an interior with some way to get up on top. Also as ryttyr wrote: Try to fill every bit of your plot. Think about the surroundings of your builds . There may be paths, vegetation, houses, carts, ....

Keep on it and I believe you will make it to Artist ;)

I agree with Eriol, the brown lands looks awsome, =) although thee riverbed should have some variation in materials.

Hello @Shredz7
I agree with @ryttyr on his first comment, being a builder for theme builds is great and important but jobs are even more important. Why? It shows that you can work in a team and under supervision and orders of a foreman or designer which is an extremely important part in being an artist! So I recommend you to do alot of jobs and don't stay on one area; work in moria,Gondor and all over so it shows you are more open and ready to become an artist!
One more thing I'd have to say: when you build you have to ask yourself: "does this make sense? Would it work? Is it realistic? What would it look like to other people?" Those are very important parts of building and you must ask yourself those, don't be afraid to try new things and to take risks it's important keep up the work!

-didi45

Shredz you did two different jobs for me yesterday. One was in the sewers and the other was in Moria. I really like your style in Moria (it is coherent to the one us designers use). Make sure to mention this in your application and to include photos. Themebuilds are important but showing you can work in the main map is as well. Good luck on getting artist and I'm sure you will get it soon.

Hey Shredz,
I had a look at your Cottage of Lost Play.
The general impression is quite good, you filled all of your plot, the house looks nice...
Some details should be improved though:
  • Your house interior looks quite empty, there are many possible details you can add. Use more decorational blocks, item frames, pictures and custom heads.
  • The roof is unrealistic from inside. There need to be some beams to support the thatch.
  • The wooden pillars of the house should not have visible grass blocks below them
  • The source of the stream looks unrealistic. The water is flowing over some grass blocks and come out ot nowhere.
  • Try to add some more vegetables in the garden.
  • I think some long grass between all the flowers would look good.

Hey Shredz,

Nice application. In the future be careful with shaders, they make some of your builds difficult to see from the screenshots as they are too dark!

Your FFA TB is alright, I am not the biggest fan of some of your wood combinations (dark oak logs w/ oak planks). I think the wall designs could be better, there are some good examples of Rohiric inspired designs in towns like Aldburg that I would recommend checking out for future inspiration.

Your Moria tunnel looks good, though I think your chamber could be improved by either adding more supports or larger supports. The walls look somewhat empty with the current design.

Your Cottage of Lost Play looks nice, but the interior needs a lot of work. Consider adding internal walls to separate out the different rooms. Also consider adding supports and wooden blanks to hide the thatched roof once inside, it looks odd just sitting on top of the cobble unsupported.

Love your Brown Lands, trees could be a tad better.

Thanks for the updates!

Here is some feedback for your "Town" ThemedBuild:
  • If you decide to build something that's similar to what we already have on the main map, do check these builds out closely first. Check out what materials they combine and how the building is structured. Of course you can develop your own styles, but these existing builds may give you some good ideas.
  • Materials: Rohan RP is difficult as the houses consist mostly of wood and thus are uniformly brown, which makes it hard to make it look interesting. One thing you can do to bring one more color into the building is to use a foundation out of cobblestone below the house; that can be 1-2 blocks or even up to one story high. Furthermore I highly recommend building the floor of the ground level out of a stony material than wood; it's can hold back the dampness of the ground better and is more durable.
    Then I personally think the spruce logs don't go well together with the wooden planks. I'd rather use oak logs.
  • On the note of logs: You used horizontal logs inside to suppert upper floors which is good! But you can als use horizontal logs in the walls, so that they're visible from outside, and thus can help making the building look a bit better structured and less uniform.
  • Cover the thatch so that it's not visible from the inside. Thatch does hold off wind and weather quite well, but it is not stiff enough to support itself, so it needs some wooden structure to rest on.
  • I like the flair of the small path going between the houses very much! The bushes and flowers nicely detail it, and you chose the materials really well!
  • Try to fit in a few more windows. It's also not at all forbidden to use glass panes for them, there is one with a wooden frame that fits well into wooden houses.
  • Regarding the small tree you built: Give it a little more volume by adding some more leaves!
I am seeing some very nice things in your build, but I got to say it's not yet up to par with what we need from an Artist. Please do keep practicising your skills, you'll have it a lot easier that way, otherwise you might find yourself overwhelmed as an Artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.