• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Cancelled shroomyD

ShroomyD

Involved Member
Commoner
Credits
XP
Date joined: 4th April 2020
  • Jobs and Plotbuilds: adding foundation to Osgiliath
job pt1.png

and stripping walls of Osgiliath with Barteldvn
job wall smothing + a bit of terraforming.png

• Update: Moria tomb decoration with Murshy (then tried unsuccessfully to help the artists with waterlogging)
  • job 2 with merfy.png
    job with merphy 2.png
  • Update: The fens smoothing with Darki
darki job.png

• Update: fens curvature with Darki (sorry no screenshots. :p)
  • Themes: Dorwinion vineyard:
exterior front.png
interior up1.png
screenshot 1.png
cellar.png
interior.png
windmill.png

• Update: Tavern bridge:
In this build I tried to challenge myself in as many ways as possible, I built in diagonals, worked on building realistic trees and learnt a lot from @ryttyr 's much appreciated constructive criticism.
A view from the corner of the plot showing the village in the distance:
1873DA06-988F-454B-B396-82657F17994E.jpeg

The village itself, the closest building being the tavern:
6CDB65EB-2771-4915-A2A4-D16BFD368246.jpeg

The interior of the tavern:
563A2344-51B0-4844-9CDA-2659B86B4705.jpeg

The final iteration of the bridge:
artist application ext bridge.png

bridge with shaders.png

• Additional Builds:common room terraforming plus natural diving board (no screenshots, sorry)
  • Your interests: Terraforming, vegetation and diagonals.
  • Your motivation: I want to apply for artist since I love what you guys have done and want to contribute to this amazing project. Building is a big aspect of why I love minecraft so much, and to be able to help build something like this has been a dream I’ve had for some time. Ever since I joined this server I have been wanting to help, to contribute: I was constantly checking if there were any jobs, I bombarded the staff with questions on how to add to the project. I am truly inspired by this project and would love to help build it.

Attachments

• 459C6FDB-4383-4722-A186-55E532ECCF3A.png
    459C6FDB-4383-4722-A186-55E532ECCF3A.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Hey @ShroomyD Thank you for applying for Artist!

It's up to you to keep updating this application. I will check in from time to time and give feedback when I think it's needed. This thread might help you as well.

Good luck!

Update: I'm working on the new theme and have been working in the free build world, will post screenshots at a later date.

Update (again): I've finished the bridge and the tavern, I've challenged myself to build diagonally, any feedback will be appreciated since I want to make this the best it can be.
bridge.png
inn.png
innside 1.png

Some feedback on your vineyard theme build:

May I ask you how those stone ceilings are held up? Stone, and by extension bricks, have a very poor tensile strength and thus have to be built vaulted on the underside to support itself yet your stone ceilings are completely flat on the underside.

I think that the overhang on the right side of the building looks quite flimsy with diagonally connected slabs and just two thin poles to hold it all up. Perhaps you could make it a bit more sturdy? Then I don't really see why the overhang is on the second floor as any rain would just be able to blow in under the cover anyways.

The room on the upper floor is very empty and could really do with a lot more in the form of decorations. I would suggest splitting the room up into several rooms as well as that alleviates the problem of having nothing to decorate the large open areas with. Also, not to be nitpicky but how is your house supposed to keep the wind and weather out when there is two very large openings in the exterior walls upstairs?

In regards to the downstairs stairs they look rather odd to me. Why do they have a railing on the side facing the outer wall but nothing on the side facing into the room? Wouldn't it be better to switch places of the stairs and the railing so that the railing stops you from falling off the stairs? Also, that wall to the right of the stairs that makes up that little room, why doesn't it go all the way up to the ceiling when you even have slabs above it? Those slabs would not be able to be there for the same reason the ceilings should be vaulted, there's nothing supporting it. So how about you just extend that wall up all the way?

You used an unusually large amount of candles and torches to decorate that one desk there. If you don't already know about it, may I suggest you look in the custom head inventory for more decorative items by doing /inv h

One thing I'm noticing is that if this house is the home of the winemaker (which I assume it is but correct me if I'm wrong) then where are all of their living amenities such as their kitchen, dining table, sleeping quarters and so on? And do they have a family? If so then they need beds, seats at the table and other such things too.

Your front door seems bizarrely large for such a relatively small house. But then again, I suppose they would have to be able to fit barrels of wine through it so I'll let it slide. I can't say for certain as I can't see the entire build in these screenshots but is the lower floor completely lacking any windows? Why is that?

Your terrain work is... well... next to nonexistent if I'm being honest with you. It would look a whole lot better if you added more foliage like grass, bushes and custom trees. We don't really use vanilla trees on MCME anymore aside from as placeholders so being able to build at least decent custom trees is quite important for an Artist to know, not a requirement but still pretty important.

I would suggest mixing in some other blocks in your paths like different types of stones and bricks for the paved paths and gravel and dirt blocks for the unpaved paths, this will make them look a lot better.

I see that you used wooden logs for the windmill, an interesting material choice for sure but not necessarily an unrealistic one. It could actually be pretty realistic if you only placed the logs so that their orientations made sense, like having them stacked horizontally on each other or stuck into the ground vertically. Having them point in random directions like that just makes it look like a pile of wood at best. Also, the wings of the windmill are so low that they would almost hit the ground. I would suggest putting them higher up on the windmill and perhaps make the entire windmill taller as well.

I really like the way you did the grape plantations, with the vines on top of leaves like that and your decorations of the cellar is very nice (although the ceiling ought to be vaulted).

Your exterior walls are very nicely decorated on the outside, not too much and not too little. Just so you know, vines made of leaf blocks are a matter of debate, some people like them some people think they look really unrealistic. I think you made them look very nice and I'm normally against building such vines.

Update (again): I've finished the bridge and the tavern, I've challenged myself to build diagonally, any feedback will be appreciated since I want to make this the best it can be.
View attachment 16822View attachment 16823View attachment 16824
Some feedback on your bridge and tavern:

Very bold of you building a diagonal house, not many people have the skill to do so and even fewer have the skills to make it look good but I think you did an amazing job at it. I wouldn't have been able to build a diagonal house like this.

Even though it's a diagonal house I still would have used stairs for the roof, it just looks so blocky when built out of full blocks.

That chimney looks very unstable, how would that thin bit of it support the much much bigger top bit of it? Normally chimneys either stay the same width all the way up or they get smaller, I don't think i've ever seen a chimney that gets wider at the top, especially not that much wider.

Placing the logs that makes up the horizontal beam which separates the brick wall from the stone wall horizontally would make it look a lot more like an actual wooden beam as they would look more continuous that way.

I personally would have tried to place the fireplace along one of the flat bits of the wall but you made it extra hard for yourself and placed it on a diagonal bit. However that doesn't seem to stop you as you did a great job building a diagonal fireplace, well done.

I would have used some other block than tables to build the bar out of, perhaps logs or upside-down stairs. I mean, it can look like that I suppose but I think it would look more like a real bar if it was more solid. I like the chair design you did though. It makes the chairs look more like armchairs but it looks nice nonetheless in my opinion.

Once again your build needs far more terrain and vegetation to it though. And that bridge, whilst I love the shape of it, it just looks sad without any form of detailing to it.

Keep up the good work.
-ryttyr

Last edited:
Update: more progress on tavern bridge theme build:
  • improved bridge design (still not 100% finished)
bridge new.png

• added two more houses (second doesn't have interior yet)
house.png
house 2.png
house 2 interior.png
house 3 ext.png

• improved terrain and added a few more cliffs
  • other details

Some feedback on your vineyard theme build:

May I ask you how those stone ceilings are held up? Stone, and by extension bricks, have a very poor tensile strength and thus have to be built vaulted on the underside to support itself yet your stone ceilings are completely flat on the underside.

I think that the overhang on the right side of the building looks quite flimsy with diagonally connected slabs and just two thin poles to hold it all up. Perhaps you could make it a bit more sturdy? Then I don't really see why the overhang is on the second floor as any rain would just be able to blow in under the cover anyways.

The room on the upper floor is very empty and could really do with a lot more in the form of decorations. I would suggest splitting the room up into sever rooms as well as that alleviates the problem of having nothing to decorate large open areas with. Also, not to be nitpicky but how is your house supposed to keep the weather out when there is two very large openings in the exterior walls upstairs?

In regards to the downstairs stairs they look rather odd to me. Why do they have a railing on the side with a wall but nothing on the side without one? Wouldn't it be better to switch places of the stairs and the railing so that the railing stops you from falling off the stairs? Also, that wall to the right of the stairs, why doesn't it go all the way up to the ceiling when you even have slabs above it? Those slabs would not be able to be there for the same reason the ceilings should be vaulted, there's nothing holding it up. So how about you just extend that wall up all the way?

You used an unusually large amount of candles and torches to decorate that one desk there. If you don't already know about it, may I suggest you look in the chead inventory for other decorative items by doing /inv h

One thing I'm noticing is that if this house is the home of the winemaker (which I assume it is but correct me if I'm wrong) then where are all of their living amenities such as their kitchen, dining table, sleeping quarters and so on? And do they have a family? If so then they need beds, seats at the table, etc. too.

Your front door seems bizarrely big for such a relatively small house. But then again, I suppose they would have to be able to fit barrels of wine through it so I'll let it slide. I can't say for certain as I can't see the entire build in these screenshots but is the lower floor completely lacking any windows?

Your terrain work is... well... next to nonexistent if I'm being honest with you. It would look a whole lot better if you added more foliage like grass, bushes and custom trees. We don't really use vanilla trees on MCME anymore aside from as placeholders so being able to build at least decent custom trees is quite important for an Artist to know, not a requirement but still pretty important.

I would suggest mixing in some other blocks in your paths like different types of stones and bricks for the paved paths and gravel and dirt blocks for the unpaved paths, this will make them look a lot better.

I see that you used wooden logs for the windmill, an interesting material choice for sure but not necessarily an unrealistic one. It could actually be pretty realistic if you only placed the logs so that their orientations made sense, like having them stacked horizontally on each other or stuck into the ground vertically. Having them point in random directions like that just makes it look like a pile of wood at best. Also, the wings of the windmill are so low that they would almost hit the ground. I would suggest putting them higher up on the windmill and perhaps make the entire windmill taller as well.

I really like the way you did the grape plantations, with the vines on top of leaves like that and your decorations of the cellar is very nice (although the ceiling ought to be vaulted).

Your exterior walls are very nicely decorated on the outside, not too much and not too little. Just so you know, vines made of leaf blocks are a matter of debate, some people like them some people think they look really unrealistic. I think you made them look very nice and I'm normally against building such vines.

Some feedback on your bridge and tavern:

Very bold of you building a diagonal house, not many people have the skill to do so and even fewer have the skills to make it look good but I think you did an amazing job at it. I wouldn't have been able to build a diagonal house like this.

Even though it's a diagonal house I still would have used stairs for the roof, it just looks so blocky when built out of full blocks.

That chimney looks very unstable, how would that thin bit of it support the much much bigger top bit of it? Normally chimneys either stay the same width all the way up or they get smaller, I don't think i've ever seen a chimney that gets wider at the top, especially not that much wider.

Placing the logs that makes up the horizontal beam which separates the brick wall from the stone wall horizontally would make it look a lot more like an actual wooden beam as they would look more continuous that way.

I personally would have tried to place the fireplace along one of the flat bits of the wall but you made it extra hard for yourself and placed it on a diagonal bit. However that doesn't seem to stop you as you did a great job building a diagonal fireplace, well done.

I would have used some other block than tables to build the bar out of, perhaps logs or upside-down stairs. I mean, it can look like that I suppose but I think it would look more like a real bar if it was more solid. I like the chair design you did though. It makes the chairs look more like armchairs but it looks nice nonetheless in my opinion.

Once again your build needs far more terrain and vegetation to it though. And that bridge, whilst I love the shape of it, it just looks sad without any form of detailing to it.

Keep up the good work.
-ryttyr
thank you so much for the feedback, I am and will be working a lot more on the terrain in the new tavern bridge theme build and will do my best to implement the rest of you critiques :D

thank you so much for the feedback, I am and will be working a lot more on the terrain in the new tavern bridge theme build and will do my best to implement the rest of you critiques :D
You updated your application as I was writing my feedback it seems so here's some feedback on your new additions:

Thatched roofs MUST have an inclination of at least 45° or else rainwater will not pour off the roof fast enough and would start seeping through the thatching. (Realistically they also should be completely uniform in shape as that makes them much more effective but we have kinda made the stylistic choice of having more uneven thatched roofs on MCME for aesthetic purposes.)

Why do you have such a high ceiling in the house with the thatched roof when you instead could have fit in a whole second floor? It's a huge waste of potential space and it would be next to impossible to heat up the entire room without modern-day heating systems.

Also please turn your FOV down, it's giving me a headache and makes it hard to make out what your build actually looks like. From what I can see though I'd say that maybe you should think a bit more about if your furniture placements really are that realistic and perhaps splitting the room up into smaller rooms as well.

Very different style on that third house. On the main map this normally wouldn't be very good as we usually try to keep to similar styles for buildings in the same location but for a theme build it's fine I think as it let's you show off your skills with different building styles.

All three buildings could really do with more exterior detailing however as this is still WIP I assume you've just not gotten to it yet. Also, I know it's hard to do because of the diagonals but I really think you should try to add some windows to the diagonal house.

I like the stone details you added next to the bridge but I can't see that you've added any extra details to the bridge itself. Also, that lamp post made of stone would just collapse. Stone just doesn't work that way.

Oh, now I see why your chimney widens so much at the top. It's to fit the campfires in to get the smoke effect. Clever. But it still looks really weird with the chimney's changing size.

Update: Upgraded the bridge again :)
[SUB]
bridge v3.png
[/SUB]
[SUB]and again after that, changed the borders to stone. no screenshots yet since it could get quite boring[/SUB]

Last edited:
Update:
  • Added some trees and will show the new bridge design while im at it
bridge v4.png
trees.png

• small changes to the thatched roof house.

Update: Added a forest and a small farm and river.
farm+river.png
forest .png

the forest takes inspiration from some trees from the plotworld and from some of my own design. I will add more at a later date.

I had seen your Bridge Inn again it is very good! :D Much better then mine....

Installed some shaders to Improve the quality of the screenshots for my application, should I post with or without?
with shaders?.png
without shaders.png

Installed some shaders to Improve the quality of the screenshots for my application, should I post with or without?
View attachment 16956View attachment 16957
I personally would say without. Shaders have a tendency to make builds look better than they are and not everyone on MCME uses shaders on a daily basis (although that number seems to be growing) so we have to be able to build stuff that looks good even without shaders.

Taking the screenshots with or without shaders is up to you really, like how do you want to display your builds? However I would suggest against building with shaders on as a build that looks okay with shaders may look a bit flat and boring without shaders.

Same goes for Optifine's connected textures setting, even more so than shaders actually. Don't build using connected textures unless you make absolute sure that it looks just as good without connected textures.

That's just my two bits on the matter though.