• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

A Noobs guide to Lore

JordD04

One Of Us, One of Us
Credits
XP
Good introduction. There's a typo for the Longbeards, it says 'Longbears', and the Stonefoots say 'Stonfoots'.

Also, orcs weren't immortal, even though they may have been corrupted elves. From Orcs, found in Text X of Myths Transformed in HoMe vol. 10.

They needed food and drink, and rest, though many were by training as tough as Dwarves in enduring hardship. They could be slain, and they were subject to disease; but apart from these ills they died and were not immortal, even according to the manner of the Quendi; indeed they appear to have been by nature short-lived compared with the span of Men of higher race, such as the Edain.

As far I know there is nothing that contradicts this idea that the general population of orcs were short lived, but this is what follows directly after the quote above:

This last point was not well understood in the Elder Days. For Morgoth had many servants, the oldest and most potent of whom were immortal, belonging indeed in their beginning to the Maiar; and these evil spirits like their Master could take on visible forms. Those whose business it was to direct the Orcs often took Orkish shapes, though they were greater and more terrible. Thus it was that the histories speak of Great Orcs or Orc- captains who were not slain, and who reappeared in battle through years far longer than the span of the lives of Men.

In effect, I think that if orcs truly are corrupted elves, the gift of immortality was taken away from them in that corruption.

edit: typo on 'unknown' in the Ents entry, 'Harfoots' in the Shire entry, and Caras Galadhon didn't have a hyphen. You could also add in the accents in the names that had them (e.g. Barad-dûr).

There are some things missing for what i shoot everyone: accents!
Lothlórien
Lórien
Rhûn
Númenórean (theres no accent on the o in Númenor, but in Númenórean there is)
Khazad-dûm
Barad-dûr (as in Khazad-dûm the second word has no capital letter)
Éomer
Círdan
Théoden
Anárion

Furthermore:
  • You may add "Undying Lands" to the term "Aman" (in brackets) as this is the name most people know from the movies
  • You have a slight inconsitency in the "Main Groups" section of Men, sometimes you use adjectives (gondorian, arnorian) and sometimes actual (Sindarin) folk names (Rohirrim "horse-people", Haradrim "south-people"), I'd add an "s" each to Gondorians, Arnorians, Númenóreans and Easterlings
  • the region the Grey Havens are in is Lindon and not Lindor. Lindor is a swiss chocolate product, you have to distinguish those.
  • Caras Galadhon has no hyphen
  • Why the heck do you use "FO" as abbreviation for "Fourth Age"?
please dont shoot me for shooting you

Last edited:
Wait.. what??
xbcu92.jpg

oh btw i wanted to add that I really like the idea and the format!

Lothlórien
  • You have a slight inconsitency in the "Main Groups" section of Men, sometimes you use adjectives (gondorian, arnorian) and sometimes actual (Sindarin) folk names (Rohirrim "horse-people", Haradrim "south-people"), I'd add an "s" each to Gondorians, Arnorians, Númenóreans and Easterlings
  • Why the heck do you use "FO" as abbreviation for "Fourth Age"?
I originally missed a bunch of the accents partially because I forgot about them and partially because they don't all work with the font. I've added them all in now, but a few look a bit funny.
I mixed the languages on purpose, the guide is supposed to be for beginners, so I used names that would be familiar to everyone, I'll be releasing more Volumes in the future that's be more specific and outline the different languages etc.
FO is commonly used as an abbreviation for the Fourth Age because FA is First Age.

Wait.. what??
xbcu92.jpg

oh btw i wanted to add that I really like the idea and the format!
The reason for the residents error is because I copied and pasted the format and then just edited the fields to speed things up, I sometimes accidentally skipped over things.

Thankyou to both Fornad and Finrod, I really appreciate the contribution.

Last edited:
By the way, Tolkein mentioned that at the time of T3A, there were many human slaves in Mordor, so maybe add Mordor as one of the places where men dwell?

By the way, Tolkein mentioned that at the time of T3A, there were many human slaves in Mordor, so maybe add Mordor as one of the places where men dwell?
I'm aware of it, but it's not too important as the basics right now.

I originally missed a bunch of the accents partially because I forgot about them and partially because they don't all work with the font. I've added them all in now, but a few look a bit funny.
What you can try (I do that sometimes when the Font I want to use doesnt support accents) is, to use a Tengwar Font which include the tehta for "e" that can be used as accent as in é and í, and also one that can be used for the accent in û. If you can give me the name of the font you used for your titles I can optimise that for you, and try out which Tengwar Font to use and what text size and such.

FO is commonly used as an abbreviation for the Fourth Age because FA is First Age.
Ah didn't think of that, in german it works fine for all the ages (EZ-ZZ-DZ-VZ)

In your directory you got some weird errors, there it says "Minas Mo" only (Minas Morgul) and "Barar" (Barad-dûr)

Last edited:
What you can try (I do that sometimes when the Font I want to use doesnt support accents) is, to use a Tengwar Font which include the tehta for "e" that can be used as accent as in é and í, and also one that can be used for the accent in û. If you can give me the name of the font you used for your titles I can optimise that for you, and try out which Tengwar Font to use and what text size and such.

Ah didn't think of that, in german it works fine for all the ages (EZ-ZZ-DZ-VZ)

In your directory you got some weird errors, there it says "Minas Mo" only (Minas Morgul) and "Barar" (Barad-dûr)
It should be fixed, thx to Finrod and Olav.
The font I used I downloaded, it's called OptimusPrinceps, it's the closest thing I could find to a free LOTR font. I downloaded it a while back but it was only today I realised that it's pretty much the font used in GoT. Minus the 2 lines in the O's

It might help overall understanding if you somehow marked the residences that were uninhabited for large portions of the Third Age such as Moria, or at least denote them with an asterisk.

Also, I'd just leave out the accents when the letter has to be bolded, such as in Khazad-dûm. Just my opinion:p

It might help overall understanding if you somehow marked the residences that were uninhabited for large portions of the Third Age such as Moria, or at least denote them with an asterisk.

Also, I'd just leave out the accents when the letter has to be bolded, such as in Khazad-dûm. Just my opinion:p
It's not the letter being bolded, it's a change in font because mine didn't support it.

The font I used I downloaded, it's called OptimusPrinceps, it's the closest thing I could find to a free LOTR font. I downloaded it a while back but it was only today I realised that it's pretty much the font used in GoT. Minus the 2 lines in the O's

Use this font here: http://www.fontspace.com/pete-klassen/ringbearer, supports accents

and for the title you could use the (meaningless) decoration characters used in the Ring Inscription, for that get yourself the whole Tengwar Annatar font family (here), in MS Word go to "Insert" --> "Symbol", choose "Tengwar Annatar Alt" as font name and get the symbols from below:
10893sm.jpg

oh theres still a few accents missing:
- in Théoden in the table of contents
- in Éomer in the TA leaders section

Use this font here: http://www.fontspace.com/pete-klassen/ringbearer, supports accents

and for the title you could use the (meaningless) decoration characters used in the Ring Inscription, for that get yourself the whole Tengwar Annatar font family (here), in MS Word go to "Insert" --> "Symbol", choose "Tengwar Annatar Alt" as font name and get the symbols from below:
10893sm.jpg

oh theres still a few accents missing:
- in Théoden in the table of contents
- in Éomer in the TA leaders section
That's amazing, thx Finrod!
I've added it to the guide.

Last edited: