• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

A Noobs guide to Lore

Hmhmm can agree with you on all points ;-) got something mixed up for the 'g' part; ng actually is similarily to nd and mb just a prenasalized regular (hard) g, so it actually equals ñg / ŋg as ŋ is the matching nasal from series III.

Never read about the L stuff, seems feasible though^^

I developped a Tengwar writing mode for german once where I too did that distinction of [ç] and [x], wondering that I did not think about that in this case.

wondering how far into elvish we have to go here so that even @JordD04 can't keep up anymore :p

Hmhmm can agree with you on all points ;-) got something mixed up for the 'g' part; ng actually is similarily to nd and mb just a prenasalized regular (hard) g, so it actually equals ñg / ŋg as ŋ is the matching nasal from series III.

Never read about the L stuff, seems feasible though^^

I developped a Tengwar writing mode for german once where I too did that distinction of [ç] and [x], wondering that I did not think about that in this case.

wondering how far into elvish we have to go here so that even @JordD04 can't keep up anymore :p
I'm updating everything in the morning.

Updated the doc, sorry it took so long. I completely forgot. Also I just copied and paste your section straight in @Finrod_Amandil , I credited you at the end.
I know its a pain but if you could format the text as I did (all elvish words bold, all english example words italic) this would avoid potential confusion whether in what language a word is now.

I think it would be a great idea if you added the Appendix of LOTR in the list of further reading, there is a great amount of information there : )

This is a great guide. Really well researched and written. Great sections on Tengwar and Pronunciation. Easily applicable. I applaud you for your effort.

dJ23RLR.jpg

@JordD04
Creepy Wollip. Creepy
How did you even get that picture.

Me and Lore are like Bush and The Shoe, It goes right over my head.
LOL!

Anyways, i know lots of you guys are language freaks as well (like me, @Finrod_Amandil, etc.) and i was just going to say, there are downloadable fonts for Tengwar and Cirth just search them up. Its hard to use them, so ill give u a hint. Each row and each column of the Tengwar and Cirth respectively are represent by 4 columns of numbers & letters. Use Shift + 3-8 for diacritics. Shift + ~ key on the top left for vowel carrier. Do italics for 2nd Age mode, and bold for Mode of Beleriand.
Hope this helps for your exploits!

LOL!

Anyways, i know lots of you guys are language freaks as well (like me, @Finrod_Amandil, etc.) and i was just going to say, there are downloadable fonts for Tengwar and Cirth just search them up. Its hard to use them, so ill give u a hint. Each row and each column of the Tengwar and Cirth respectively are represent by 4 columns of numbers & letters. Use Shift + 3-8 for diacritics. Shift + ~ key on the top left for vowel carrier. Do italics for 2nd Age mode, and bold for Mode of Beleriand.
Hope this helps for your exploits!

How to use Tengwar for
- English phonemic: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_general_english.htm#eng_phon
- English orthografic: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_general_english.htm#eng_orth
- Quenya: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_quenya.htm
- Sindarin: http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/teng-sin.pdf

Lol thats one of the sources i used for tengwar, sarati, cirth daeron, etc.
I think it will help lots for new people to learn also. PS Tengwar Annater font (explained above) and Cirth fonts can be found at dafont.com
Gondolinic Runes anyone?
Gosh, I really like Lord of the Rings (the Silmarillion more so)

Last edited:
Lol thats one of the sources i used for tengwar, sarati, cirth daeron, etc.
I think it will help lots for new people to learn also. PS Tengwar Annater font (explained above) and Cirth fonts can be found at dafont.com
Gondolinic Runes anyone?
Gosh, I really like Lord of the Rings (the Silmarillion more so)
In Gondolin they used the same writing system, just a different mode for Sindarin (look out for "Mode of Beleriand"). Quenya was assumingly written as it is in the 3rd Age, but be aware that the language itself was in a different development stadium and thus the language itself was remarkably different than 3rd Quenya. (one speaks of Early Quenya or Qenya when referring to that 1st Age language)

In Gondolin they used the same writing system, just a different mode for Sindarin (look out for "Mode of Beleriand"). Quenya was assumingly written as it is in the 3rd Age, but be aware that the language itself was in a different development stadium and thus the language itself was remarkably different than 3rd Quenya. (one speaks of Early Quenya or Qenya when referring to that 1st Age language)
I meant the runes, similar to Daerons Cirth, created probably by Pengolodh, Loremaster of Gondolin (aka @JordD04) . Its little-known, and one of the main 2 (the other being Valmaric Script) that are not a part of the Big 3 of Sarati, Tengwar, and Cirthas Daeron and their various modes. Im sure there are others though, and if you find them, please post it on my profile.

@Finrod_Amandil
I think if you want to talk about this you should make a conversation. I dont want to get in trouble with the Enforcers for crowding this thread with a conversation between only 2 people.
BTW, If you ever need help with links, just ask.

Are you sure Tolkien wasn't referring to the Realm of Khand? It's just east of Mordor.

And jord, any possibility of adding a "Realms" section to your guide? You could have realms that were destroyed/abandoned with a * next to them.

As well, you could add "half trolls", "snow trolls" (Helm hammerhand is compared to one of thoses during the long winter, doesn't mean that they are real, but would be cool if added)

Also, weren't Marcho and Blanco Fallohides (please correct me if I am wrong)

And would their be any way to maybe add an "sub-species" group? For examples such as Druadan and Huorns.

Edit: Maybe also have a "Key Characters" section.
Edit: Maybe also a Valar and Maiar section, as they are important figures in Arda as a whole.

Not to sound like a critic or anything, really love the guides! :D
Actually, men did dwell in Mordor, slaves of Sauron. They were all in the southern Nurn section, because it was the only part that was able to support them.

IE Khand, right?
Khand was a seperate land east of Mordor that Sauron brought to his service.

Actually, men did dwell in Mordor, slaves of Sauron. They were all in the southern Nurn section, because it was the only part that was able to support them.

Apoligies.

I said this, when I wrote "Sub-topics" I thought of it to be lesser known, or similar kinds of one of the creatures he listed. (e.g. Druadan to men, Huorns to Ents.)