• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Lothlorien Vegetation

I got an idea for light in Lothlorien and making leaves looking permeable for light.
I like the idea ...

A lot of light below the trees was very important to me from the beginning of the project till now. I tried a lot to achieve this (inclusive hiding Glowstone below carpets). Finally @Ryiw and I made a lot of 1x1holes in the canopies of the trees where it was too dark at the ground. Without shaders this works very well and it's very hard to spot these holes. I think this method worked very well and all regions of Lothlorien except Caras Galadhon and Cerin Amroth have enough light on the ground (use video setting > brighness set to bright). I can't say how it looks like with shaders, my computer always crashes when I try to use shaders. In Caras Galadhon and Cerin Amroth the large fletts are the problem. Small shafts of light permeable leaves will not help there and I don't think it is a good idea to make the planks of the fletts light permeable.
Some larger shafts of light permeable leaves could probably help there, I think we could try that.
But we have to be careful to get...
... just the right shadow to keep the forest vibe.
I also fear this could bring up problems when using shaders, like beams of light out ouf nowhere. I would be happy about some feedback of shader experienced people about this point.

Last edited:
I just replaced a lot of leaves in Lothlorien with red glass. I think it's looking very well without shaders. Would be happy about feedback. And please show me how it is with shaders on.
To retexture the red glass you have to copy the the file:
..\.minecraft\resourcepacks\Lothlorien\assets\minecraft\textures\blocks\wool_colored_white.png to
..\.minecraft\resourcepacks\Lothlorien\assets\minecraft\textures\blocks\glass_red.png

I don't think that is stated anywhere. Plus, well, there are trees other than mellyrn anyway.

I just replaced a lot of leaves in Lothlorien with red glass. I think it's looking very well without shaders. Would be happy about feedback. And please show me how it is with shaders on.
To retexture the red glass you have to copy the the file:
..\.minecraft\resourcepacks\Lothlorien\assets\minecraft\textures\blocks\wool_colored_white.png to
..\.minecraft\resourcepacks\Lothlorien\assets\minecraft\textures\blocks\glass_red.png

Any update about this?

Really? cause I saw it all over the place in Caras Galadhon, and I always asked why it was there since there's no server texture for it, and anything with the default textures pretty much always looks
out-of-place anywhere on the server to me

I have too many other stuff to do and changed back the glass to wool for now.

But I will keep this in mind.