• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Lothlorien Vegetation

Status update:
Ground vegetations jobs are going on in region 5. @Emilio_ made a map of the progress:
full

I want to make some small streams in Lothlorien. Not that it is not already a tremendous amount of work but....
  1. There are no little streams in Lothlorien flowing down from the misties only the three streams out of the larger valleys (Nimrodel, Celebrant and n.n.?). Compared to the amount of small brooks in the Dimrill Valley this seems to be unrealistic.
  2. The existing pools in the center of Lothlorien are also quite unrealistic. The water there flow out under trees and run into holes in the ground.
  3. It will make Lothlorien more diversified and interesting. :)
  4. It will drive me mad only running ground vegetation jobs in Lorien all the time. With the actual speed of progress we will need 2-3 months.:confused:
full
Legend:
dark blue lines: existing rivers
dark blue circles: existing pools
light blue lines: planned streams
light blue circles: planned floodplain forests
black lines: planned steams in ravines or underground

Most streams will be 1 to 3-4 blocks wide. I already made the most western and most eastern stream and laid out some other.

PFK_1751.jpg
floodplain-forest-slideshow-1.jpg
9755841234_efecce7cd3_z.jpg

I want to make some small streams in Lothlorien. Not that it is not already a tremendous amount of work but....
  1. There are no little streams in Lothlorien flowing down from the misties only the three streams out of the larger valleys (Nimrodel, Celebrant and n.n.?). Compared to the amount of small brooks in the Dimrill Valley this seems to be unrealistic.
  2. The existing pools in the center of Lothlorien are also quite unrealistic. The water there flow out under trees and run into holes in the ground.
  3. It will make Lothlorien more diversified and interesting. :)
  4. It will drive me mad only running ground vegetation jobs in Lorien all the time. With the actual speed of progress we will need 2-3 months.:confused:
full
Legend:
dark blue lines: existing rivers
dark blue circles: existing pools
light blue lines: planned streams
light blue circles: planned floodplain forests
black lines: planned steams in ravines or underground

Most streams will be 1 to 3-4 blocks wide. I already made the most western and most eastern stream and laid out some other.

PFK_1751.jpg
floodplain-forest-slideshow-1.jpg
9755841234_efecce7cd3_z.jpg

This for sure reminds me of where I live, in and around the Willamatte Valley. Lots of streams and such here. Just got to channel your inner Oregonian

Btw Eriol are you also gonna do vegetation at the falls of nimrodel because at the moment it's kinda boring (srry Finrod, I am only talking about vegetation, not about terrain)

I just started to work on region 1 where the falls of nimrodel is located. I will certainly think about vegetation at the lower part of the fall.

I got an idea for light in Lothlorien and making leaves looking permeable for light. I was thinking about changing colored glass textures that are not used in Lothlorien texture pack with textures used for leaves (wool, green wool and red wool). It will be good to make 1 block wide shafts in canopy of tree (it could be wider) and fill it with glass or even few 1 block shafts in smaller area so it will look like light is filtering through it. I think it will be useful for very dark areas in forest like Caras Galadhon. I also made a test in Caras Galadhon with and without shaders and I think it looks pretty good, only problem I found is while using SEUS-v10.1-Ultra shaders but with all others shaders it looks good. Light on the ground in my opinion looks good with every shaders. Here are some shaders that I tested:

UaeQKO2.png

IhTr3Vw.png

liR4YsB.png
NXG9ehN.png

1Eicu3G.png
cKplyM0.png

Bright:
stlIZic.png
U7wBgpl.png
Moody:
5bKWLFZ.png
U0pnNli.png

As great an idea as this is, it would severely cripple progress as it is with Lothlorien. Doing so would require revisiting every single section, putting in these blocks, and fixing the way the ground vegetation is set up due to the light level changes. i understand this may not be reason enough alone to dismiss it, but I see it as a too little too late deal. Besides, Apart from some more central areas there is more than enough brightness. with just the right shadow to keep the forest vibe.

Aren't there now new leaves blocks taht aren't used in Loth? Wouldn't it be possible to simpley retexture them into golden and use a replace tool?

Lothlorien Vegetation is FINISHED!

I really liked to work in Lothlorien but it really draged on for a very long time. So I'm very happy to have it done at last.
Many thanks to all who helped with ideas, feedback, during jobs...
There are some people I want to say special thanks:
First @yourie98 who started the project and did a lot of work in the early stage of the project. He made the project application, organised the working sections and the tree plotbuild.
Second @Emilio_ who spent many hours with pasting trees and running ground vegetation jobs.
And last but not least @Ryiw who spend even more time in Lothlorien than me. He produced tons of beautiful bushes at incedible speed, made almost all new streams and helped with so many details. Huge thank-you.

-Eriol

Edit: Just made some screenshots of my favourite places.

Last edited:
Lothlorien Vegetation is FINISHED!

I really liked to work in Lothlorien but it really draged on for a very long time. So I'm very happy to have it done at last.
Many thanks to all who helped with ideas, feedback, during jobs...
There are some people I want to say special thanks:
First @yourie98 who started the project and did a lot of work in the early stage of the project. He made the project application, organised the working sections and the tree plotbuild.
Second @Emilio_ who spent many hours with pasting trees and running ground vegetation jobs.
And last but not least @Ryiw who spend even more time in Lothlorien than me. He produced tons of beautiful bushes at incedible speed, made almost all new streams and helped with so many details. Huge thank-you.

-Eriol

Edit: Just made some screenshots of my favourite places.
I'm glad that this project was done.....I always nicknamed Lothlorien the "ghost forest" before because it was so empty aside from the mallorn trees.

I got an idea for light in Lothlorien and making leaves looking permeable for light. I was thinking about changing colored glass textures that are not used in Lothlorien texture pack with textures used for leaves (wool, green wool and red wool). It will be good to make 1 block wide shafts in canopy of tree (it could be wider) and fill it with glass or even few 1 block shafts in smaller area so it will look like light is filtering through it. I think it will be useful for very dark areas in forest like Caras Galadhon. I also made a test in Caras Galadhon with and without shaders and I think it looks pretty good, only problem I found is while using SEUS-v10.1-Ultra shaders but with all others shaders it looks good. Light on the ground in my opinion looks good with every shaders. Here are some shaders that I tested:

UaeQKO2.png

IhTr3Vw.png

liR4YsB.png
NXG9ehN.png

1Eicu3G.png
cKplyM0.png

Bright:
stlIZic.png
U7wBgpl.png
Moody:
5bKWLFZ.png
U0pnNli.png

I like the idea and I do not think that it would be that hard of a task with the help of VoxelSniper. Lothlorien looks a lot better with all the work done to the vegetation but the forest is very dull and the golden leaves look pale. Some light would add a contrast and let the flora look even better!

A voxel command that could work -I haven't used it in a year, so I could be wrong- would be /b sover cc d12, replacing the wool blocks with the recommended glass blocks

A voxel command that could work -I haven't used it in a year, so I could be wrong- would be /b sover cc d12, replacing the wool blocks with the recommended glass blocks

It'd be a bit more tricky; I'd try:
  • /b sover cc
  • /b sover d256 (as there are only leaves on the trees this would assure that trees of really any thickness get a full shaft)
  • /b sover all (else it will only affect natural blocks)
  • /b sover g1 (growth to 1, that way you only get 1 block shafts and not bigger ones)
  • /b sover r1 (recursion to 1, same reason as above)
  • /b sover s200 (seed percent to 2%, maybe a different value may make a better light shaft density)
  • (the last 3 commands can be issued at once with /b sover s200 g1 r1)

That was just the very basic command. Of course you gotta change the growth and seed to a fitting value. You don't need /b sover all if you use /vr.
But Im glad you agree to that it would be viable.

Walking around Caras Galadhon, it occurred to me that there is barely any furniture and decoration anywhere in the elven houses.

Perhaps, seeing as Lothlorien is on our minds atm, a Caras Galadhon furnishing "thing" could be done?