• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Matt's Texture Dev Topic

MattTheLegoman

Worthy of Mordor
Credits
XP
There are two purposes for this topic
  1. I will present possible textures for MCME
    • You can critique my textures and make suggestions
    • If staff take an interest in a particular texture they can ask me to submit it to GitHub
  2. You can request textures
    • I am more likely to do what I feel comfortable with, but try me anyway I like to make crazy things regardless
    • I am more likely to listen to staff requests, if you are an artist please consider the textures you would like to be using while building Middle-earth

Apple
First up. An apple. =D It is listed here as one of the high priority textures for MCME.
The album presenting all the textures in this topic is hosted on Imgur: Matt Textures. It will contain downloads and in-game screenshots.

T9E1DVK.png
zyevRaL.png

Last edited:
I prefer my apples directed up (as in the stem). Also the stem could maybe have more brown than green?

You could maybe make the golden apple a green apple instead, since most apples are generally green or red. It doesn't need to be done; it's just an idea.

I use Inkscape to make the block colours and basic shades. Then I use GIMP to overlay a grungy texture, burn and dodge detailed highlights and to make small changes to colours. You can see a colour layer in the screenshot, this is used for the golden apple and the green apple.
UiXjeCG.png

hew1xWU.png

Apple
Thanks for the suggestions @ardelenia and @DSESGH. Updated gallery (I won't be keeping old textures in the gallery).
thsXA2j.png
G0r4VkO.png
10h2yxF.png

Last edited:
since you haven't put anything else up i assume you will still take comments on the apple(s). Why is the leaf for the golden apple brown?

btw, grey havens stuff could be fairly useful in elven builds, and add more detail to places such as rivendell and lorien, as well as the grey havens :p

I know wheelleee has created some fantastic elvish blocks already for Rivendell. =D

But Texture Artists need the support of the Build Artists. The Texture Artists will happily supply what you need if it means it will be in the next Resource-pack.

@ardelenia The leaf is dark gold because the overlay technique changes the colour, and not the brightness. I can change it (lol, it's only 22 pixels). =p

i love them, especially the pattern. one thing though: I think that you should have the dark pixel on the top of block not line up with the dark pixel on the bottom.

I use Inkscape to make the block colours and basic shades.

So, a bit more clarification/explanation (because I'm intrigued!). Do you import an image (in this case an apple) into Inkscape, create a grid, export a bitmap equal to the size of the grid? Or are you creating the image from scratch? What exactly is your Inkscape process?

I use Inkscape to make the block colours and basic shades. Then I use GIMP to overlay a grungy texture, burn and dodge detailed highlights and to make small changes to colours. You can see a colour layer in the screenshot, this is used for the golden apple and the green apple.
UiXjeCG.png

hew1xWU.png

Apple
Thanks for the suggestions @ardelenia and @DSESGH. Updated gallery (I won't be keeping old textures in the gallery).
thsXA2j.png
G0r4VkO.png
10h2yxF.png
These are great! Have you submitted them to Github?

Other things you could try if you want that I think the community would love:
-Other Food Textures
-Fishing Rod Texture
-Boat Texture

Keep up the great work matt, these are awesome :)