• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

Matt's Texture Dev Topic

Thanks for the suggestions @ardelenia and @DSESGH. Updated gallery (I won't be keeping old textures in the gallery).
thsXA2j.png
G0r4VkO.png
10h2yxF.png

Matt, those apples are sexy. I want to eat them.

Thanks for sharing your process, your stuff just keeps getting better and better!

Could knock out the book/writeable/enchanted in 1 texture and then color variants. Something like the Red book of Westmarch would look great and seem appropriate.

P.s. like lizzy said above, i think a vine re texture would be welcome. We're using them in Minas tirith at the moment, but the current texture is horrid in my opinion.

A few ideas:
  • I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be cool to have the buckets retextured as a cup of tea, a glass of water, or something like that
  • Possibly making the clock look like a pocket watch
  • A cookie could be a cookie (not really sure what it's supposed to be now:p)
  • I think the spawn eggs need to be retextured to something that fits more in Middle Earth, but I'm not sure what they could be
These aren't really high demand, but I think it would be cool to have them.

Last edited:
Bone
Perhaps a skull instead of bones? And bone-meal could be a fibula (makes no sense medically)?
rDcOCkv.png

Vine
I don't like this one - too generic and it's yucky too - can I do a grapevine instead?

yOgPdOF.png

Idea: Vine to grapevine, I'll make the leaves x32 so they are recognisable, but should I put grapes on it? Also - vines use the biome colours correct?

Last edited:
The vines are awesome! I agree that you should take out the grapes because of the overlay, but also because of how we use them. Vines are usually used to give a slightly more "ruined" feel.

Since they look like grape vines (even without the grapes), we could have better-looking grape "farms" :D

Ye, I like the ideas of the dyes. I know you tried it with the goblets before, maybe try more of a phial/pouch design this time? Doesnt have to be anything over the top I dont think.

Ent-draught bone meal! Ent-draught bone meal!

Also, how do you "grunge up" the textures in GIMP? Is it manually, or is there a tool that's good for that? Like you said to me on Github, and like I have noticed, my textures could use more "grunge."

Last edited:
I use a desaturated high-contrast, texture overlay. You can photograph textures, or use a generate noise filter to make your own. You can find textures on the internet, some are called grunge-maps. Google them or find some examples on CG Textures. Because of the resource-pack's license it would be better to create your own.

You can download my texture overlays on my Dropbox. (I only have three.)

Minas Morgul brick proof of concept:
Please tell me if you think this will work. =D Currently there are 8 frames in the texture. If it style is accepted then the animation will be much smoother and the texture will be better.

Reactions: B_n