• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Moria - Stage 4: Construction

Another small note (@Ryanturambar): Please do not worry about ruining or orc overtaking (orcish structures) yet. This would only complicate pasting the pillars (as not all of them have the same orc structures, or have none at all).

Hi everyone. If you read my profile page a few seconds before I posted this you know I can't get on minecraft because my computer won't let me:mad:! So I will disclaim my plot.

tDrYI5L.jpg

._.•'´¯`'•._.•'` MORIA `'•._.•'´¯`'•._.

Khazad-dûm | Dwarrowdelf | Casarrondo | Hadhodrond | Phurunargian

~~~~~~ Stage 4: CONSTRUCTION ~~~~~~

Project Leaders:
@Despot666
@Finrod_Amandil
Stage 3 (final layout and sizes) has been completed by Despot mostly through digging out all the halls of Moria. Note that the shapes there are in no way final and may well still be subdivided into smaller rooms and structures.

Now we finally enter Stage 4, where everyone is at last able to build on Moria and where we will at last start making massive progress on the actual map beyond the style trials that have been made so far.

And we start this with right away 2 Contests! They will be running parallel but the time should be enough to give both of them a try!

Contest 1:
2nd hall pillar
The pillars in Morias biggest hall serve of course a very important purpose and are aswell located at a very iconic spot: Right at the bridge of Khazad-dûm. Their description is very specific in the books, and be aware of that this description is different than the depiction in movies and old moria:

As we will have so many normal pillars throughout Moria we really want a lore-accurate tree-shaped one in the 2nd hall!
Additionally, we ask you not to ruin the pillars or add orcish structures to it.
The plot you get includes both bottom and ceiling of the 2nd hall.

Participants:

1: The Thunder Down under - @_Thijs1801, @Georget1011, @bender400
2: Ombuur - @Bombur8
3: Gandalf is fabulous - @133mc, @ahamster
4: I'M WHO I'M - @_Davidsan (BEWE_HA_ELOHIM)
5: Death - @Mandos, @Tyranystrasz
6: kebab - @kisos
7: Team Soup - @Soap887
8: Team Tasari - @Puffin4Tom
9: Pancake Team - @Roel2005
10: Durin's Helpers - @Nic1337, @Bengberg, @thomasd16
11: Team WalpoleLegoMen -
@WalpoleLegoMen
12: Legos! - @mattlego
13: Team Friendless - @Antimattergizmo
14: Minas Moria - @Ryanturambar
15: Another Mark on The Wall - @ProjectXMark1
16: Team The Hobbit - @Bilbo Baggins
17:
18: Tokkat1138 - @tokkat1138
19: Durt Solo - @Durtalathion
20: The Ming Squad - @Danishkabby, @mingthemusical, @ooitsbirdo

Contest 2:
2nd hall wall design
No specific lore is given on the design of the walls in the 2nd hall, so here you can go crazy with the design. The plots given include 2 wall segments including the division elements between them (marked with red wool). Shape and size of these parting points can be varied in shape and size, but they should have an uneven size centered around the wool marking. One wall element is a normal one and the other one has an exit to build around. The size and shape of the exit can be altered, but should roughly stay the same size.

Do not make a replica of the moria west gate onto these walls. If there's one place on Arde where you don't find elvish symbols like the star of Feanor or the two trees of Valinor, then its in the 2nd hall, the heart of the biggest dwarven realm. However symbols as Durins Crown with the 7 stars or the anvil + hammer are symbols that are surely appropriate.

If you want to use runes (Cirth), you can use the following sources, or ask in this thread for translations / transcriptions:
Cirth reference:
Angerthas Moria - Tolkien Gateway
Khuzdul reference and wordlist: khuzdul
Neo-Khuzdul by David Salo, translator of the LotR and Hobbit movies: Khuzdul | Midgardsmal

Participants:

1: Team Uninspiring - @Puffin4Tom
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9: Team Dwarflords - @133mc, Lobber36
10: <Team Name> - @Ardelenia

General info that applies to both contests:

• Both contests will last 2 weeks, starting on Wednesday July 15 ending on Wednesday July 29 24:00 BST
  • Work alone or in a team.
  • Plots can be claimed by yourself by placing the matching signs at the plots (Layout is given on site) aswell as replying to this thread with the following information:
    - Pillar Contest / Wall Contest / Both
    - Plot Number(s)
    - Team Name
    - Team Members
  • Additional plots will be generated if needed
  • Plots are located at /warp Moria Contest on plotworld.
  • Resource Pack: MCME-Dwarven-Beta2. Download here: MCME Dwarven Pack construction/suggestions zone | Minecraft Middle Earth
@Finrod_Amandil @Despot666 shouldn't this have ended by now? cuz its way past Wednesday July 29th 24:00 BST. (would like to know who the finalists/winner are/is)

Last edited:
Pillar Contest Results
I and Despot did just have a detailed look into every pillar. We have not seen a design yet that fully satisfies us, therefore there will be a finalist round lasting another week (today until Thursday august 6th 24:00 BST, final judgement hopefully on Frriday august 7th), I hope all finalists are still motivated to work on this another week.
I am giving feedback on every single pillar that is either finished or mostly finished, however only the finalists are supposed to apply the feedback, for the others its just something to learn of for a future build.

The finalists are:
Plot 1: The Thunder Down under - @_Thijs1801, @Georget1011, @bender400
Plot 6: kebab - @kisos, @BeatHeav3N
Plot 10: Durin's Helpers - @Nic1337, @Bengberg, @thomasd16, @greglas2
Plot 12: Legos! - @mattlego

Important: Additionally to reworking the pillar you now should also make up a floor and ceiling design!

The plots are at /warp Moria Final on plotworld

Pillar feedback
1: The Thunder Down under - @_Thijs1801, @Georget1011, @bender400
[SUCCESS]- Very well balanced amount of details, not too much and not too less.
- Very good use of new Moria pack, especially remarkable is the stained glass as wall ornaments and diagonals.
- Matching choice of blocks, the colors fit together really well and no "texture overload" is being felt when looking at the pillar.
- Shape of trees is very good, I especially like the lower end because they almost do not reach the floor and thus there are no roots on the floor, but instead a "classic" pillar base.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- The top of the pillar does not use the branches of the trees as main support structure (as implied in the lore). The current branches are also way to thin to support any viable amount of weight.[/INFORMATION]
2: Ombuur - @Bombur8
[SUCCESS]- Very close on the lore, as there is implied that the pillar is mostly one single black tree, also of course the ceiling is supported by branches only.
- I like the concept of a strictly geometric tree design which indeed makes sense for a dwarven pillar.
- Roots on the floor often dont look good, thus its a good decision of yours that you built a non-treeish pillar base.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- The shape of the outer four branches (with the gold ornaments) doesn't seem like a very practical choice to fulfill a support function. Especially the tips of the branches are way to thin, just think of that these have to support just as much weight as the rest of the branch.
- You overused the stained glass wall ornaments, theres simply too many on one spot. Try to break it down to less, see e.g. how kisos used it.
- The statue blocks could be implemented a bit better, now as they are simply standing ontop of that arch they almost stay unnoticed; I studied the pillar for a few minutes until I suddenly saw that there are also statues. What I mean with that is, you could build some kind of pedestal for it, and some blocks behind and around it that emphasise the statue and kinda say "Hey over here is something special!", check plot 10 for an example on that.[/INFORMATION]
[ERROR]- That colorful ornament block that you used sometimes as connection between gold and iron ornaments does not fit in my opinion; with it there are too many colors on one spot. A better solution may be a one color block (e.g. diamond block).[/ERROR]
3: Gandalf is fabulous - @133mc, @ahamster
[SUCCESS]- Very close on the lore, as there is implied that the pillar is mostly one single black tree, also of course the ceiling is supported by branches only.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- The roots could be smaller and less massive.[/INFORMATION]
[ERROR]- While the splattered red stained glass is in general a nice idea, the block choice I would not support. One of the new marble blocks introduced in the Beta 2 pack may be a better choice.
- The branches at the very top are way to thin. They all would instantly break.[/ERROR]
4: I'M WHO I'M - @_Davidsan (BEWE_HA_ELOHIM)
[SUCCESS]- Very nice pillar shape
- You focused on very few different blocks which is a good decision, and especially with such a versatile resource pack that has so many blocks in it this is a tricky thing to do.
- The iron fences look really cool at these spots in the dwarven pack, never thought of using them that way!
- Illumination is looking good too.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- Theres no tree-like things in the pillar and therefore its irrelevant for the 2nd hall, however we can surely use this pillar somewhere else in Moria![/INFORMATION]
5: Death - @Mandos, @Tyranystrasz
- unfinished -

6: kebab - @kisos
[SUCCESS]- Very good block choice and combination. Especially the stained glass ornaments ontop of obsidan + diamond/iron block look very nice.
- (almost) consistent style elements, e.g. the horizontal rings using always the same diagonal blocks.
- Interesting and well implemented shapes, especially the dark bricks on the orthogonal sides.
- Pillar base is also shaped very nicely, the roots are just sized the right way.
- Wide spreading branches at the top.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- The top of the pillar is too massive (the centerpiece), I would prefer a more "airy" concept there, also emphasising the branches more.
- The tree parts of the pillar could have more black blocks, however the idea of using both grey and black for the tree is great! (but to match lore a tad better some more black may be nice).[/INFORMATION]
7: Team Soup - @Soap887
- unfinished -

8: Team Tasari - @Puffin4Tom
- unfinished -

9: Pancake Team - @Roel2005
- unfinished -

10: Durin's Helpers - @Nic1337, @Bengberg, @thomasd16, @greglas2
[SUCCESS]- Black pillar center
- Many good ideas on how to use and combine dwarven pack things.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- I remember that I already told someone that pillar thickness is at the upper end of the reasonable spectrum; I'm not sure whether you added some more stuff onto that or if it just looks thicker now, but it looks too thick.
- The proprtions of the pillar are off, that means the base is too high and/or the main part of the pillar is too thick.
- Detail overload. There are many nice details in the pillar but summed up you've got just too much. Try to pick out a few elements and reuse them multiple times, and thus make a more consistent design.
- Too many different blocks; some blocks, like gold ornaments, copper vein or marble blocks are only used in very small amounts, so that they look out of place and add just too many different colors to the pillar.
- Even though statically your branches make a lot of sense, spreading out branches (= meet the pillar tangentially rather than right-angled) would look better.
[/INFORMATION]
11: Team WalpoleLegoMen - @WalpoleLegoMen
- unfinished -

12: Legos! - @mattlego
[SUCCESS]- It is a tad thinner than most pillars.
- consistent style over most of the pillar.
- trees are very nice.
- good block choice.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- Pillar base could still be a bit more detailed, using some other blocks.
- The branches at the top are too filigree / too complicated to be clearly perceived as branches from the bottom in a dark room (as the fellowship could). Try making less but bigger branches.[/INFORMATION]
13: Team Friendless - @Antimattergizmo
- unfinished
14: Minas Moria - @Ryanturambar
[SUCCESS]- The strictly orthogonal style is unique and very appealing.
- Good block choice.
- Connections to the floor and ceiling are also a very cool and nice idea.
- This pillar will definitely be used, however not in the 2nd hall as we really want a tree-shaped one there.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- The ornamental blocks (diamond & iron blocks) are often really hidden and sometimes not or only hardly visible from the bottom. They could occupy some more prominent places.[/INFORMATION]
15: Another Mark on The Wall - @ProjectXMark1
[SUCCESS]- I absolutely love the color combination, a bold choice but a good one!
- Simple but appealing pillar design, very good use of the diagonal blocks.
- Very stylish ceiling connection, like that a lot.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- In combination with the point below, I dont think the planned top will work out, you'd need more horizontal room to spread the branches, and also should do thinner branches (or at least dont make those two really thick ones).[/INFORMATION]
[ERROR]- The pillar is clearly to thick. Your style on a thinner pillar may look cool.[/ERROR]
16: Team The Hobbit - @Bilbo Baggins
- unfinished -
17:
18: Tokkat1138 - @tokkat1138
- unfinished -
19: Durt Solo - @Durtalathion
- unfinished -
20: The Ming Squad - @Danishkabby, @mingthemusical, @ooitsbirdo
[SUCCESS]- The cobblestone shapes are very nice and interesting.
- The centerpiece of the pillar top I do like very much, especially the inside/top of it.
- Good block choices and good combinations of the ornamental blocks.[/SUCCESS]
[INFORMATION]- The statue blocks could be implemented a bit better, now they almost stay unnoticed; What I mean with that is, you could build some kind of pedestal for it, and some blocks behind and around it that emphasise the statue and kinda say "Hey over here is something special!", check plot 10 for an example on that.[/INFORMATION]
[ERROR]- Pillar base is way to thick.
- the branches at the top have strange shapes, neither really geometricly nor organicly shaped.[/ERROR]

Wall Contest Results
The winner here of course here is Ardelenia, and here is some feedback on your work:

[WARNING]I absolutely LOVE the mural, it looks awesome and also makes a lot of sense to be there as those peaks are such a well known and iconic symbol for Moria. The details used on the other section are on theirselves very nice and a really good use of the moria pack, however the wall in total has a clear detail and color overload. What I would suggest is that I indeed follow your offer and we make most of the 2nd hall walls with murals (gotta look out for some motifs). A change I'd do to the 3 peaks mural is, that we extend it to the very ground, and thus replace the design below the mural; it does not blend that well with the mural and has imo too many colors and details. The other suggestion that Despot made is just breaking down the colors down there. The gate could also be merged with the rest a bit better. We'd love to work together with you on these walls, you definitely made a good start already on which we can improve![/WARNING]

Last edited:
After a major derp on my part, most of the pillars have lots of holes in them. Me and @ooitsbirdo have fixed up the finalists pillars. If anyone wants theirs fixed up for any reason! Drop a comment in this thread!!!!!! And i will fix up your pillar asap, for screenshots/applications or anything really. Again, I will fix it for you!!!! Very sorry for the inconvieniance and accidental grieving of the hard work you put in. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Ah, it's a shame I couldn't come on and finish my wall design as I was away from internet for about a week. Congrats to all the finalists though!

Some notes on the floor and ceiling:
- Dont make a too complicated / detailed design, often simple things look already very good while overdetailed ones just look horrible.
- On the plot you only need to build the floor and ceiling in the rectangle surrounded by yellow wool.
- The floor patterns are RECTANGULAR, not squares, size is 85 x 77 blocks.
- /warp Moria Final
- If you have not enough time to apply all the feedback and make floor and ceiling, write on this thread, we can always consider giving more time.

Last edited:
After a major derp on my part, most of the pillars have lots of holes in them. Me and @ooitsbirdo have fixed up the finalists pillars. If anyone wants theirs fixed up for any reason! Drop a comment in this thread!!!!!! And i will fix up your pillar asap, for screenshots/applications or anything really. Again, I will fix it for you!!!! Very sorry for the inconvieniance and accidental grieving of the hard work you put in. :(:(:(:(:(:(
I noticed two leftover holes in matt's plot, so I marked them with blue wool, so you or him can fix it, because I wasn't sure how exactly it was shaped ;) .

EDIT : It's at the very top of the pillars.

Last edited:
I noticed two leftover holes in matt's plot, so I marked them with blue wool, so you or him can fix it, because I wasn't sure how exactly it was shaped ;) .

EDIT : It's at the very top of the pillars.
ill go and fix it , and please can we nomminate @kisos for biggest fail of 2k15

although i was unable to work on this contest myself. I have a cool idea on how to get the pillars to have a slight reddish glow, Lava on the inside of the pillar will glow red. whilst the stained glass blocks that let the light through should allow some of the lava's glow to envelop the pillars. Just an idea :D

At first I thought it was a good idea, but there's one problem : in order to give a "blocky", stony appearance to the stained glass, they have to be in corner position, so the light won't pass :( . You would have to use them as . . . well . . . glass, which doesn't look good.