• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Lothlorien Vegetation

We have had a good look at your concepts and decided that it will be accepted!
Those of you who are working on this and are Adventurers will be promoted to Artist for the duration of the project.
Good luck, have fun and do not be afraid to ask Designers for help.

May I suggest we start on the sections furthest from the Misty mountains, so by the time we get to the Misties, fin would most likely have finished the the moria sections.( no pressure fin :p) Also sorry I haven't been on much I've been really busy, but when I'm on this project will have 110% of my attention.

May I suggest we start on the sections furthest from the Misty mountains, so by the time we get to the Misties, fin would most likely have finished the the moria sections.( no pressure fin :p) Also sorry I haven't been on much I've been really busy, but when I'm on this project will have 110% of my attention.
Yes please, I will soon (maybe this weekend) start working on the Nimrodel valley (south-west corner of Loth), with what the Mtns of Moria / Section 1 would be done; I hope that i soon afterwards can start the area between Loth and Rivendell and then would ofc first tackle the rest of the mountains bordering Loth. But if you make way faster progress than I do, don't hesitate to build near unfinished terrain, I will be able to work around it.

Another quote tells one of certain types of undergrowth etc., like bilberry and such.
Also, Fellowship went through lorien in movies and books during winter.

Another quote tells one of certain types of undergrowth etc., like bilberry and such.
Also, Fellowship went through lorien in movies and books during winter.
could you perhaps say where this quote might be found (in books or online)?
Regarding the time I personally would break it for loth and keep it summer/fall i.e. with golden flowers, because i think it would be boring otherwise. Also I think that leafless mallorns would look ugly; the branches are too thick to be unadorned.

Well in any case, it doesn't matter when the Fellowship passed through because the server is set on Bilbo's 111st Birthday. This date is September 22nd, which means that the leaves could possibly be golden; it's at least close enough for us to kind of approximate. Who wants a green Lothlorien anyway?:p

The treebuild is open!
*At /warp lothconcept
*Use Lothlorien resource pack
*Be sure to read the tree guide!

*Don't grief anything!
Right now we especially need the tree types nrs. 1, 2, 5 and 6. These will be used through the whole forest. Please read the guide for the trees and take a good look at the example trees and you'll be just fine! Numbers 3 & 4 are pine-like trees and will be used in the western regions of Lothlorien as they are closer to the mountains cold. We will need those trees as the project progresses.

Actually, mallorns never are 'leafless'. The books specifically state they: 'fall not' and in the summer and spring are green with gold flowers and in winter/autumn have gold leaves that fell in summer to have green leaves and flowers take their place, since legolas always said lorien looked much prettier in the summer. Plus, if you're dating lorien at bilbo's birthday it'd be a gold forest with flowers floating in the river and on the forest floor.
Quote for the vegetation around dimrill dale/lorien borders:
'harts-tongue and shrubs of whortle-berry' whortle berry is another name for bilberry and hart's toungue is a fern of sorts. these grew along the silverlode a few miles south of mirrormere and north of lorien. Lorien would evidently have the same undergrowth.
During the lay of nimrodel, she is compared to:
'As leaf of linden-tree.'
This may have also grown in the region

Also, even though this is unrelated, people keep saying that tolkien wasn't such a great artist. He actually was, but tended to stylize his art for lotr. These are two of his drawings unrelated to his texts:
Lostwethion_TolkienWhitby.jpg

1912QuallingtonCarpenter-RED.jpg

I think it would be really cool, as wheellee kind of suggested, to have leaves/flowers floating on the water. Not sure if there's a way to do this with carpet though.

I think it would be really cool, as wheellee kind of suggested, to have leaves/flowers floating on the water. Not sure if there's a way to do this with carpet though.
ykUbQUs.png

Even looks good from this angle (not floating above the water, in the air--but rather on the water.
DzTVHaS.png

Just need a carpet with flower textures, but have some pixels edited out so it's not all square--that or edit lily pads, ya know?
I like this idea--I can create flower textures in photoshop and put them in the texture pack suggestions thread with a link to this post. Just want to get approval or interest of staff on this idea. I like it :D

Project post updated!
Right now all the trees in Region 8 are pasted in :cool: and the planning of Region 7 (Caras Galadhon) is done. That means that in Region 8 jobs for adventurers can start! Before that though, we will make a guide on what exactly to do in Lorien. So keep an eye out for the guide, that will be posted in this thread as well as in plotworld, and be sure to help out with the jobs!

Last edited:
Since we're doing the vegetation revamp, was there any thought given to clearing out a little space for the lawn where the Fellowship received their gifts from Galadriel? I don't think we have anything that matches it, and if I'm remembering things right, it'd probably be in area XIII or XIV of section 6.

Since we're doing the vegetation revamp, was there any thought given to clearing out a little space for the lawn where the Fellowship received their gifts from Galadriel? I don't think we have anything that matches it, and if I'm remembering things right, it'd probably be in area XIII or XIV of section 6.
That place is already there in region 6 section XIII at the junction of river Nimrodel and river Anduin.

Heh, I actually just saw that on the server right now before reading this. Looking good!

Lothlorien ground vegetation

The trees of region 8 has been pasted in. Soon the first jobs of this project will start. Please read this guidance before you help on a Lothlorien job. There is also an ingame instruction at /warp lothconcept.

step 1: grass blocks
Replace all dirt blocks with grass blocks. Pretty easy...

step 2: root fixing
Replace visible grass or dirt blocks below tree roots with logs. Connect hovering trees to the ground. Type /get logs in chat to get the right six sided logs.
full

step 3: bushes

Try to make the shapes of your bushes look natural. Don't make the bushes compact, leave holes in it. Avoid flat faces of multiple block.
full

step 4: mallorn leaves
We are building a forest in september with nearly all leaves at the trees. Don't place mallorn leaves everywhere (Of course forests with leaves covering all the ground are realistic but that would not look nice in mc). Make clusters of mallorn leaves of different size and large free spaces between the clusters. Dont place mallorn leaves directly below a tree of an other type ;-). Use a mixture of carpets, red carpets and green carpets for the mallorn leaves.
full

step 5: flowers and mushrooms
Don't put abundant amouts of flowers everywhere, we are building a forest not a flowery meadow.
  • The large blue and white flowers grow on small clearings where most light get to the ground.
  • The small white flowers grow mainly at the somewhat darker areas but not at the very dark areas.
  • The small yellow flowers grow everywhere except the very dark areas.
  • Mushrooms should be infrequent. They appear in small scattered goups of only one kind of mushroom. They grow everywhere exept the very bright areas.
full

Last edited: