• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Misty Mountains [Part 1 - Mountains of Moria]

roads can be not-straight as bombur mentioned but there are loads of places where people would have cut across a valley or run along a mountain instead of over it, things like that. on the large scale you can always imagine there used to be a village or something, but on the smaller scale a road will always be both as straight and easy to travel as it can be, and where it's not, people will ignore it. if there were just a few places i'd point 'em out but there are lots. so i guess the real question is, how do i become a designer?
Okay now you made me curious, I really wanna hear yor concerns! I give you and @Bombur8 the task to sort out the road parts that can be improved in your opinion. What you can do:
- take a screenshot of the dynmap and mark your preferred route on it.
- or do the same thing with ingame screens
- or get yourself an artist or a not busy designer ingame and let them mark the locations you have concerns on. Either mark an alternate route or/and make the artist place some descrptive signs
(show them this post if they dont believe you)

for your opinions id be really thankful!

Edit: For now we only speak of the Redhorn pass road not whole MCME (saw your other post just now). If you feel like it you can ofc take some dynmap screens of other places around MCME, Im happy to discuss some other concerns too, again, we can only profit from seriously conducted discussions.

Last edited:
Oh... Well, roads aren't really my thing (I am more into large buildings such as castles or churchs), and I am actually quite satisfied with those which are currently on the server. I don't say it couldn't be better, but I don't think I'm the guy for this job. I just wrote my last post in order to nuance what HavenBastion said ;) .

Oh... Well, roads aren't really my thing (I am more into large buildings such as castles or churchs), and I am actually quite satisfied with those which are currently on the server. I don't say it couldn't be better, but I don't think I'm the guy for this job. I just wrote my last post in order to nuance what HavenBastion said ;) .
Im only talking about the redhorn pass road, thoughtyou had some ideas on it

Originally, I disagreed with Haven, but now I do see some areas on the pass that just seem...well..off.
I am sure he could provide some useful input!

Originally, I disagreed with Haven, but now I do see some areas on the pass that just seem...well..off.
I am sure he could provide some useful input!
Geez dont tease me like that, I wanna see screens and concrete suggestions! I invite everyone to provide any kind of feedback, I prefer rants and criticism as long as its constructive

I checked the Redhorn Gate Road for more direct ways. I think there are one or to places where are other possible and equally convenient way. But I did not find considerably better ways except the crossing of the glacier on the west side:
full

I think a crossing of a glacier that near to the final icefall would be very dangeous because of crevasses. In an icefall like this crevasses occur frequently and chance quite quickly. For example the
Khumbu Icefall is regarded one of the most dangerous stages on the way to the summit of Mount Everest.
Thus the way need to be secured and rebuild very often.
My alternative way crosses a steep cliff where some stone work has to be done to build the way. But it would need much less maintenance and is much less dangerous.

Last edited:
I checked the Redhorn Gate Road for more direct ways. I think there are one or to places where are other possible and equally convenient way. But I did not find considerably better ways except the crossing of the glacier on the west side:
full

I think a crossing of a glacier that near to the final icefall would be very dangeous because of crevasses. In an icefall like this crevasses occur frequently and chance quite quickly. For example the
Khumbu Icefall is regarded one of the most dangerous stages on the way to the summit of Mount Everest.
Thus the way need to be secured and rebuild very often.
My alternativ way on crosses a steep cliff where some stone work has to be done to build the way. But it would need much less maintenance and is much less dangerous.
Seems like a good idea to me!

Hmm feeling pretty dumb upon that suggestion ^^. Know the danger of glaciers very well myself so I wasnt entirely sure about that spot too, your solution makes much more sense. I initially planned the valley top to bottom and wanted to cross the river/glacier as fast as possible.
Will hopefully make some progress this weekend. Also wanna try out the Durins Crown reflection.
Keep the good ideas coming!

i would do screens but there are just too many places really. i mean, i might anyway but it's horribly inefficient. can't i just plop down some markers when i'm at the places?

can't i just plop down some markers when i'm at the places?

B. Game
The following rules should be followed when using our servers:

1. Modifying terrain, gathering materials and unauthorised building are prohibited.
  2. Modifications to the world must always happen under the supervision of a foremen, artisan, steward or valar. In rare circumstances Jobs are allowed to be run without supervision, though this must be explicitly stated with a forum post or written public message by a Valar.
- take a screenshot of the dynmap and mark your preferred route on it.
- or do the same thing with ingame screens
- or get yourself an artist or a not busy designer ingame and let them mark the locations you have concerns on. Either mark an alternate route or/and make the artist place some descrptive signs
(show them this post if they dont believe you)

i would do screens but there are just too many places really. i mean, i might anyway but it's horribly inefficient. can't i just plop down some markers when i'm at the places?
Well, with screenshots we can see it for ourselves in a pic, and with F3, you don't even have to write the coords.

how about allowing everyone to have access to place a specially textured block for marking things? if they put too many, they'd be easily reverted. and if it's a non-solid block, not even an entire block sprite, it's unlikely to get in the way or mess anything up in any way.

all in all though, i have a lot of work i'm willing to do and no way to do it. i'm not going to spend my time and energy trying to work within a system when it's something that just needs to get done and isn't even potentially harmful.

how about allowing everyone to have access to place a specially textured block for marking things? if they put too many, they'd be easily reverted. and if it's a non-solid block, not even an entire block sprite, it's unlikely to get in the way or mess anything up in any way.

all in all though, i have a lot of work i'm willing to do and no way to do it. i'm not going to spend my time and energy trying to work within a system when it's something that just needs to get done and isn't even potentially harmful.
I totally understand you, and I would be pi**ed myself when I joined the server and wanted to do something but am not able to. The idea you have is interesting and I think we'd consider doing something like it, but the big problem is that amongst the multiple ten thousand people who ever visited the server so far are a few big di**s that only try to grief and destroy stuff, and if they only have such a small thing to do that, its already enough... You have no idea how often Staff gets messages about people trying to place TNT on the map.
Again I would recommend you using dynmap for your thing, maybe you havent discovered it so far:
Go to http://build.mcmiddleearth.com:8123/login.html and register with your ingame name and a code in the form of ####-#### that you get by typing /dynmap webregister ingame. Then take a screenshot (If you have no clue how to do proper screens, I recommend you a small and nice free program called SimpleScreenshot) and open it in the most basic image editing program and mark on there whatever you want to mark.

@HavenBastion, please take a moment to read my post on your other thread, quoted here for your viewing convenience (click the arrow to see the original post)
Again, please take a screenshot when you see one of these places. It's very hard for us to fix the issues if we have to scan all the roads on the whole map to do it. Thanks;)

Saw your post on the other thread: screenshots are much more efficient than placing a marker. If you take screenshots, you simply press F3 (or fn + f3), press f2 or fn + f2, then upload your shots to an imgur album and post the link here. When you place a marker, you have to post the coordinates on the forums anyway, or it will take quite a while before a staff or artist sees a marker. Besides, we are not going to give you build perms unless you are a good builder and trusted enough to become staff or artist.

If you want, you can just post coordinates and maybe a description of the issue on the forums. That would be fine too.
This is really the main reason why you can't place markers in game

If you want to discuss roads in general, please do that in your thread. Limit this thread to comments specific to the Misty Mountains.

Well, that's not for now, but I was thinking it would be rally cool to build the « Nazgûl tombs » as seen in the Hobbit movies. Of course, it's totally anti-lore, but we are not forced to pretend it to be the tombs of the Nazgûl, it could be a ancient Hillmen necropolis, for exemple. Because, in my opinion, the design is really amazing :) .
1414334530-capture.png
1414334525-capturegd.png
1414334530-teh.png
1414334514-dth.png
1414334522-tezh.png