• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Shire Trees

My thoughts:

Scale: This is pretty much fine, considering that the hobbit houses would be pretty tiny. However, the trees in the woody end and old forest will have to be enlarged to compensate. I also feel that hobbits might in general prefer the smaller, prettier trees (e.g. blossoming fruit trees), this is just my opinion on what hobbits are like though. I don't feel they are going to plant many trees in order for them to grow large, anyway, especially since they won't use large trees much for building (small buildings only, no navy).

Placement: This is a problem. In village, you usually get very few trees among the houses, and those that you do get are very small (garden trees). Any larger trees will have been chopped down for actually building the houses. You may get a few larger trees on a village green or park or the like, but the problem with the hobbit village layout is that they are not really made like villages (a real village is almost always built around 1 or 2 roads and a junction) so that there are not any good places for a tree area inside the village. Without a #shirerevamp2014 there is nothing that can be done about this.
Another problem concerning placement is that there are several trees which seem to be the only one of their species in the area. Just no. That is not how trees reproduce. To be honest an entire area (like, a farthing-sized area) is likely to mainly contain only 2 or 3 types of tree naturally, potentially with a few cultivated ones too. In fact a loose division of tree types between the four farthings could be a cool, subtle way to distinguish different parts of the Shire which are currently very nondescript.
Good places to put trees can be around villages, the little group of yew(?) trees just outside Hobbiton isn't bad. They should always be in groups, not necessarily right up next to each other but close by. A good place for a little grove would be a hilltop, you get a lot of places like this since the hilltops are not so good for farming on (anywhere with hurst or hirst in its name had one of these). You might also get rows of trees dividing fields, poplars are especially *ahem* popular for this.

Design: Mostly this is good, but I have a couple complaints.
Some of the trees look kinda derpy, for example the first one speedy posted with the pear-shaped canopy. I'm guessing it's meant to be an aspen? The canopy should be wider near the top, and while I realise it's seasonal it would be really nice have the aspen's beautiful characteristic yellow leaves, as well as making it way more recognisable. As glove said, some of the trees need to have fuller canopies: in a forest, trees grow up for light but in a field they grow out.
The other problem I have with some of the trees is that they look too clipped and cultivated; while the hobbits are gardeners they would definitely not like formal gardens so a topiary hedge kind of tree is not going to happen. I am thinking particularly of the one on the waterfront in Bywater, there shouldn't be a tree there at all really (what's wrong with some flowers?). On the other end of the spectrum there are some which look have so many leaves missing they look like they have some kind of disease, though this isn't nearly so bad.

Thanks for reading. I hope I've been constructive.

Would it not make more sense to finish one place before claiming 4 others? This would allow other artists to claim places that may get them more motivated to trees.
Anyone can claim as many as they want! I don't see a problem with the project leader wanting to participate in his own protect, but maybe you do. The way I see it, I chose some major places, and I want those areas to be done right, that's all.

My thoughts:

Scale: This is pretty much fine, considering that the hobbit houses would be pretty tiny. However, the trees in the woody end and old forest will have to be enlarged to compensate. I also feel that hobbits might in general prefer the smaller, prettier trees (e.g. blossoming fruit trees), this is just my opinion on what hobbits are like though. I don't feel they are going to plant many trees in order for them to grow large, anyway, especially since they won't use large trees much for building (small buildings only, no navy).

Placement: This is a problem. In village, you usually get very few trees among the houses, and those that you do get are very small (garden trees). Any larger trees will have been chopped down for actually building the houses. You may get a few larger trees on a village green or park or the like, but the problem with the hobbit village layout is that they are not really made like villages (a real village is almost always built around 1 or 2 roads and a junction) so that there are not any good places for a tree area inside the village. Without a #shirerevamp2014 there is nothing that can be done about this.
Another problem concerning placement is that there are several trees which seem to be the only one of their species in the area. Just no. That is not how trees reproduce. To be honest an entire area (like, a farthing-sized area) is likely to mainly contain only 2 or 3 types of tree naturally, potentially with a few cultivated ones too. In fact a loose division of tree types between the four farthings could be a cool, subtle way to distinguish different parts of the Shire which are currently very nondescript.
Good places to put trees can be around villages, the little group of yew(?) trees just outside Hobbiton isn't bad. They should always be in groups, not necessarily right up next to each other but close by. A good place for a little grove would be a hilltop, you get a lot of places like this since the hilltops are not so good for farming on (anywhere with hurst or hirst in its name had one of these). You might also get rows of trees dividing fields, poplars are especially *ahem* popular for this.

Design: Mostly this is good, but I have a couple complaints.
Some of the trees look kinda derpy, for example the first one speedy posted with the pear-shaped canopy. I'm guessing it's meant to be an aspen? The canopy should be wider near the top, and while I realise it's seasonal it would be really nice have the aspen's beautiful characteristic yellow leaves, as well as making it way more recognisable. As glove said, some of the trees need to have fuller canopies: in a forest, trees grow up for light but in a field they grow out.
The other problem I have with some of the trees is that they look too clipped and cultivated; while the hobbits are gardeners they would definitely not like formal gardens so a topiary hedge kind of tree is not going to happen. I am thinking particularly of the one on the waterfront in Bywater, there shouldn't be a tree there at all really (what's wrong with some flowers?). On the other end of the spectrum there are some which look have so many leaves missing they look like they have some kind of disease, though this isn't nearly so bad.

Thanks for reading. I hope I've been constructive.
Thanks for the input! Things that I have an answer to right now would be that the aspen was yellow, then some staff changed it back for some reason...? Also almost every tree I have built atm, there was a tree there already so it's not as though I just randomly chose places for trees, but that I replaced ones that were already in the same spot. That is a good point though. In the future I probably will not be placing them in the same orientation around the villages, as they were prior to being redone.

When did this become about new players? Look at the

When did this become about what new players think? This is a general concern and suggestion surrounding what regarding what happens within the server. I have upmost respect for artists and the updates that they are doing, however, that does not mean that my opinion and observations are useless or without their merit. Look for yourself, despite them having creative, using plot world to create trees and have them analyzed by staff members before just implementing them within the server.
..all I am saying is, don't take this to levels of extreme in terms of seriousness, also pretty much everyone else agrees with me.

..all I am saying is, don't take this to levels of extreme in terms of seriousness, also pretty much everyone else agrees with me.
This isn't about who agrees with whom. I'm sharing my observations, and suggesting a slight change. Gargantuan trees look very, very out of place amongst the Shire. This is a community where everyone is welcome to share their opinions and thoughts. Do not use this "I'm right, and because others share my similar idea it has to be true." Every member in this community is more than welcome to voice their opinions, however at the same time. The vocal minority will not intimidate, bully, or otherwise make attempts to silence discussion because some might not share the same views. Your comments are an alarming response to simple criticism. You word your response to try and permanently silence others, namely, me. It is not tolerated, nor should it be. As far as you're entitled to your opinion, as am I to mine. If you would like to argue over what shade of blue the sky is, by all means tell me is cyan, but you cannot and will not be entitled to say that I am wrong for thinking it's more teal than cyan. I respect your opinion, however, I think you need to reevaluate how you respond to people. If you are not capable of respecting the sharing of ideas and opinions, in such a manner that does not use this "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality, then perhaps it's best that you wait to make a comments that sticks to facts and not some imagined support of others.

This isn't about who agrees with whom. I'm sharing my observations, and suggesting a slight change. Gargantuan trees look very, very out of place amongst the Shire. This is a community where everyone is welcome to share their opinions and thoughts. Do not use this "I'm right, and because others share my similar idea it has to be true." Every member in this community is more than welcome to voice their opinions, however at the same time. The vocal minority will not intimidate, bully, or otherwise make attempts to silence discussion because some might not share the same views. Your comments are an alarming response to simple criticism. You word your response to try and permanently silence others, namely, me. It is not tolerated, nor should it be. As far as you're entitled to your opinion, as am I to mine. If you would like to argue over what shade of blue the sky is, by all means tell me is cyan, but you cannot and will not be entitled to say that I am wrong for thinking it's more teal than cyan. I respect your opinion, however, I think you need to reevaluate how you respond to people. If you are not capable of respecting the sharing of ideas and opinions, in such a manner that does not use this "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality, then perhaps it's best that you wait to make a comments that sticks to facts and not some imagined support of others.
K, I understand. Everyone does deserve an opinion, after all! Sorry for the slight harassment.

It's not harassment. I appreciate that you have an opinion that you want to defend. We all just have to make sure that we not wording things in such a way that it puts off others.

indeed you are entitled to your own opinion, and you are very good at backing up your opinions with facts, however you did go about stating your opinion in a very forceful manner as well. I respect the input though and while all points you have discussed will not be implemented, some will, and it is very good to see that people care. Also i cud you delete the godzilla plox?

[Go Go Go]
Claimed Villages!

1.Hobbiton-K1sk1
2.Bywater
3.Tuckborough
4.Frogmorton-AWOL
5.Overhill-K1sk1
6.Waymeet
7.Tookbank
8.Woodhall
9.Stock
10Whitfurrows
11.Budgeford
12.Scary
13.Brockenborings
14.Oatbarton-K1sk1
15.Needlehole-knightfalcon
16.Nobottle
17.Tightfield
18.Gamwich
19.Little Delving-K1sk1
20.Greenholm
21.Whitwell
22.Pincup
23.Willowbottom
24.Deephallow
25.Breredom
26.Haysend
27.Rushy
28.Standelf
29.Buckelberry-K1sK1
30.Crickhollow
31.Newbury
32.Dwaling
33.Greenfields
34.Longcleeve
35.Longbottom
36.Sackville
37.Hardbottle
38.Michel Delving-knightfalcon

Claimed Farms!

1.K1sk1
2.nat
4.knightfalcon
8.nat
11.K1sk1
13.K1sk1
14.K1sk1
15.K1sk1
16.K1sk1

Unless me and NightFalcon had a baby, there shouldn't be a K in night. :p

I can speak from experience in that 2 spruce trees in my backyard dwarf and surrounding woods as well as all homes in my neighbourhood. You can see them for miles outside the village.

Well, I know it's not exactly in the Shire, but you could make the most of this project to do add the Old Man Willow in the new world :) .

Arf, so I didn't find it. I thought it wasn't because there is no warp and there was one in the old map. Thanks :) .

EDIT: Those trees dont' have six-faced logs blocks (I think they were in Tuckborough, but not sure anymore):
1415146260-2014-10-20-18-38-36.png

Last edited: