• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Finished Shire Trees

There are a handful of trees that are comically and cartoonishly out of scale. They

1. Are way too large to be natural given surrounding terrain and trees

2. Are way too tall to look natural given the scale of the buildings

3. Are not species that exist anywhere close to the Shire, even if they are to be added, it would require the entire scale be changed, however we are not able to change the scale of Minecraft's Steve Model. This renders this moot, as that cannot be done.

These trees look like something out of Fangorn and Lorien, and in those locations are appropriate, but are ridiculously out of scale for the Shire. There needs to be a level of uniformity in scale, and these trees need to be dialed down to an appropriate scale. While the Party Tree is on the larger scale, it isn't nearly as large as these. I recommend that changes happen.

as7KmiU.png

UR5qHmd.png

Jgcxikg.png

BqlvAGd.png

Kz8aGze.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a handful of trees that are comically and cartoonishly out of scale. They

1. Are way too large to be natural given surrounding terrain and trees

2. Are way too tall to look natural given the scale of the buildings

3. Are not species that exist anywhere close to the Shire.

These trees look like something out of Fangorn and Lorien, and in those locations are appropriate, but are ridiculously out of scale for the Shire. There needs to be a level of uniformity in scale, and these trees need to be dialed down to an appropriate scale. While the Party Tree is on the larger scale, it isn't nearly as large as these. I recommend that changes happen.

as7KmiU.png

UR5qHmd.png

Jgcxikg.png

BqlvAGd.png

Kz8aGze.png
Actually, every single tree there was picked off of a list of trees in the English countryside which as you should know is what the shire is based off of. Next up, these are nowhere close to the size of fanghorns and lothloriens trees. These are what legitimate trees look like and are the correct size. The previous ones were much too small. In accordance with your unfit size due to the other trees. They will all be redone. Every single forest in the shire, with trees of the same size.

Surrounding buildings are hobbit-sized.
So a 21 block tall tree, which is scaled to be 21 meters tall, needs to be as tall as if not bigger than a Bree house? From the highest point of the majority of Bree houses, which is roughly 10 blocks tall, a tree is another 11 blocks higher? If we were making forced perspective outlooks to make mountains appear larger, sure. However, when looking at trees of these species, they too are too large. Since when would the Shire have tress the size of Redwoods in them?

I don't really see where the scale problem exists. Our buildings are all scaled in line with your normal Steve-sized Minecraft person, right? (Well, minus stuff like Orthanc and the Tower of Ecthelion that has height limitation issues, but you get my point.) Many, many types of real-life trees routinely grow to be a good 15-20 meters (50-60 feet) when mature, and easily dwarf the buildings that surround them, which may only be a story or two in height. So why would a 20-block-tall tree be an issue, when that's how tall many trees should be?

Scale is greatly important, but not all trees are going to be huge. Especially if the scale of something is the size of steve.

For Example: The tree in this image is scaled to match that of the model train. If we are scaled to that of Steve: two blocks or 2 meters, then a 20 block tree is 20 meters, which equates to 65 foot tall tree. That is a scale of 1:1, which when looking at them, creates skyscraper sized trees compared to Steve.

LV_Deisal.jpg

So if a 20 block tall tree equates to a 65ft tree (20m) then its roughly half the size of Redwood trees which can grow to be 370+ ft tall (116m). This in turn creates a gross disparity between what currently exists, and what is being added. So if Steve is 2m tall, roughly 6ft, and a tree is 20m tall, thats a 1:1 scale.

To create the example, if the European Yew, which ranges in size from 10-20meters, then on a 1:1 scale server side, would be 20+blocks tall, respectfully. So when not built to fit the scale of builds, then it creates a comically funny look to the world. While some trees might be large, it is not feasible for a tree to loom nearly 3-4 times the size of a building on the same level, when scaled.

So using Steve as a Hobbit on the server. Steve is 2 blocks to equal 3 ½ feet tall, or roughly 1 meter. That makes a scale of 1:2. So a tall tree being 30 meters tall, would only need to be 15 blocks tall. Anything larger than this and it begins to morph the scale back to 1:1 which looks really, really silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a 2.5 story house in the middle of a forest. Every tree except our sapling apple tree is taller than our house by a good 10 feet, if not more. Field trees (like the party tree!) dont have to fight for sunlight like forest trees and generally grow rather tall, and have a big canopy.

Minecraft scale is imperfect, however one main detail of hobbit houses are that they are generally only 1 story tall. Larger trees are not only accurate, but also give a better hint of smallness to hobbit houses. Those tree pictures you posted speedy dont look too big, if anything i might say they seem a bit too small for field trees. (actually one big criticism is that their canopies are rather petite where they would've opened up more to catch more sunlight).

But like i said, minecraft scale isn't anything accurate, and what matters is that things look appropriate, and have a decent aesthetic to them. And i can tell you with complete confidence that the shire looks a great bit better with bigger custom trees instead of those sad lil default trees.
(all this being said, i dont live in the English countryside, i live in the young forests of New England, so i now encourage all the Brits to chime in)

Also, I doubt that very many new players actually care about scale that much. No offense, Speeder, but I don't think it really matters to have larger trees, I agree with Glove and all the others.

[Go Go Go]
Claimed Villages!

1.Hobbiton-K1sk1
2.Bywater
3.Tuckborough
4.Frogmorton-AWOL
5.Overhill-K1sk1
6.Waymeet
7.Tookbank
8.Woodhall
9.Stock
10Whitfurrows
11.Budgeford
12.Scary
13.Brockenborings
14.Oatbarton-K1sk1
15.Needlehole-knightfalcon
16.Nobottle
17.Tightfield
18.Gamwich
19.Little Delving-K1sk1
20.Greenholm
21.Whitwell
22.Pincup
23.Willowbottom
24.Deephallow
25.Breredom
26.Haysend
27.Rushy
28.Standelf
29.Buckelberry-K1sK1
30.Crickhollow
31.Newbury
32.Dwaling
33.Greenfields
34.Longcleeve
35.Longbottom
36.Sackville
37.Hardbottle
38.Michel Delving-knightfalcon

Claimed Farms!

1.K1sk1
2.nat
4.knightfalcon
8.nat
11.K1sk1
13.K1sk1
14.K1sk1
15.K1sk1
16.K1sk1

Would it not make more sense to finish one place before claiming 4 others? This would allow other artists to claim places that may get them more motivated to trees.

When did this become about new players? Look at the
Also, I doubt that very many new players actually care about scale that much. No offense, Speeder, but I don't think it really matters to have larger trees, I agree with Glove and all the others.
When did this become about what new players think? This is a general concern and suggestion surrounding what regarding what happens within the server. I have upmost respect for artists and the updates that they are doing, however, that does not mean that my opinion and observations are useless or without their merit. Look for yourself, despite them having creative, using plot world to create trees and have them analyzed by staff members before just implementing them within the server.

I think having "bigger" Trees is no Probleme at all, first of Trees being bigger then Houses is pretty realistic, second we are talking about the shire, so the houses of the hobbits are small, it just adds the feeling of being a tiny hobbit. So thats alright in my opinion